Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 156

Thread: Cowen writes to parties seeking consensus on budget

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    4,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    From RTE News

    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1013/noonanm.html

    In today's letter, Mr Cowen said as proposed by John Gormley he would like to explore the extent to which cross-party consensus could be achieved on a realistic approach to putting the public finances on a sustainable footing

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Cross party consensus on how best the innocent taxpayer can be best shafted in the interests of helping the developers and bankers out of the little spot they've got themselves in?

    No thanks.

    Brian Cowen got himself into this mess. And like a child he wants everyone else to get him out.

    And I don't care what the markets think. The faster Cowen is removed from office the better for everyone.

    One other point I would make though is that the opposition should cut a deal with Gormley.

    Get rid of Cowen and we'll support the upcoming budget. There has to be opposition conditions for supporting the budget.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Catalpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Dublin West
    Posts
    10,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    Cross party consensus on how best the innocent taxpayer can be best shafted in the interests of helping the developers and bankers out of the little spot they've got themselves in?

    No thanks.

    Brian Cowen got himself into this mess. And like a child he wants everyone else to get him out.

    And I don't care what the markets think. The faster Cowen is removed from office the better for everyone.

    One other point I would make though is that the opposition should cut a deal with Gormley.

    Get rid of Cowen and we'll support the upcoming budget.
    I doubt the Opposition Parties would fall for this one as basically Biffo is trying to corral them into the Quagmire he has stirred up through his own incompetence & lack of political Leadership.

    The last sting of a dying wasp?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    windy fooker is just lookin for some extra scapegoats. resign pig boy!!
    Last edited by F.U.B.A.R; 13th October 2010 at 07:19 PM.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member sport02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    19,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Any chance, Cowen would listen to public concensus, and give us a general election.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member jmayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    661
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    Cross party consensus on how best the innocent taxpayer can be best shafted in the interests of helping the developers and bankers out of the little spot they've got themselves in?

    No thanks.

    Brian Cowen got himself into this mess. And like a child he wants everyone else to get him out.

    And I don't care what the markets think. The faster Cowen is removed from office the better for everyone.

    One other point I would make though is that the opposition should cut a deal with Gormley.

    Get rid of Cowen and we'll support the upcoming budget. There has to be opposition conditions for supporting the budget.
    This is going to be interesting.
    Some people will feel that FG as second biggest party have to try and put national interest first.
    Watch over coming days all the media reports about putting country before party.
    Watch threads appearing here and elsewhere putting the pressure on for patriotism.

    Only thing is FG and Kenny are now having to watch what stroke Labour and Gilmore will pull, ala the pairing arrangement.

    This decision for FG will be as much about Labour as about ff.

    I can see them all meeting, but I can't see them agreeing.
    Also the opposition wisely know they can't trust ff.

    And if we suddently see Kenny, Noonan, Gilmore and Burton going abroad after seeing the books, I would request security check if they were carrying lots of cash.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If the opposition join a "consensus" on the budget they will be shooting themselves in the foot and it will be a major stroke for Clowen.

    I can hear the next election debates now, everything the opposition put to Cowen, he will say, "sure yee supported it". And the people's anger will also be transferred to the opposition.

    It seems entirely odd that the Regulator lost his job, the Central Bank head lost his job and most of the banking heads lost their job. But the man who was as much to blame as any of them is still there. It's time Cowen lost his job too.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member sport02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    19,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    If the opposition join a "consensus" on the budget they will be shooting themselves in the foot and it will be a major stroke for Clowen.

    I can hear the next election debates now, everything the opposition put to Cowen, he will say, "sure yee supported it". And the people's anger will also be transferred to the opposition.

    It seems entirely odd that the Regulator lost his job, the Central Bank head lost his job and most of the banking heads lost their job. But the man who was as much to blame as any of them is still there. It's time Cowen lost his job too.

    Agree, the opossition parties, have to stay firm, otherwise they will be brought into this whole FF/Green charade, come the debating before the next general election.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    1,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Wasn't he saying it was neither practical nor desired all week?
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

    - Niccolò Machiavelli

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmayo View Post
    This is going to be interesting.
    Some people will feel that FG as second biggest party have to try and put national interest first.
    Watch over coming days all the media reports about putting country before party.
    Watch threads appearing here and elsewhere putting the pressure on for patriotism.

    Only thing is FG and Kenny are now having to watch what stroke Labour and Gilmore will pull, ala the pairing arrangement.

    This decision for FG will be as much about Labour as about ff.

    I can see them all meeting, but I can't see them agreeing.
    Also the opposition wisely know they can't trust ff.

    And if we suddently see Kenny, Noonan, Gilmore and Burton going abroad after seeing the books, I would request security check if they were carrying lots of cash.
    See that's the difference between Kenny and other past and potential FG leaders. Dukes has been rewarded many times over by Fianna Fail for his Tallaght strategy, with a number of well paying jobs.

    Kenny has more cop and knows not to be bought by Fianna Fail. That's probably a reason many people don't like him, particularly friends of FF and particularly the eejits in the Sindo.

    At least Kenny has some integrity and will put the country first.

    Indeed rejecting the consensus could see Kenny bounce back in the polls. Cowen is despised by the Irish people, and opposing him is very popular at the moment.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •