Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Man jailed for 46 days for not paying fine on litter.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Man jailed for 46 days for not paying fine on litter.

Was listening to Joe Duffy today when a mother rang in to say how her son had been jailed for 46 days for non payment of a litter fine.

For anyone who wants to try and listen to the podcast the call was made around 2.40pm today 13/10/10. EDIT: Here is the link

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-liveline.smil

Scroll it across to the time of 1.03.38 for the part

From what I understand of the call it appears the man had lost his job as a plumber and was unemployed but was attending college.

He had previously gone to a recycling centre and recycled some glass bottles and left the cardboard box behind. CCTV caught him leaving the box and recorded his number plate.

As I understand it he received the fine of €150, and for what ever reason it had now amounted to over €2,000.

The mother and her son and wrote to the Department of Justice asking for a reduction in the fine or to be able to pay be instalments, however no reply was received and despite numerous telephone calls still there was no response.

Today the Gardai arrived and arrested the man and took him to prision.

Now I have to say the lad was foolish no ignore the origional fine of €150 and allow it to mount up to over €2,000. However this once again highlights the unfairness of our laws where someone can be jailed for leaving a cardbox box at a recycling centre and yet people who have put this country into a mess are allowed to walk around free as a bird.

How mucgh will the jailing of this man cost the taxpayer?

Its time our laws were relooked at, why couldnt the court simply be allowed to deduct weekly payments of €5 from his unemployment benefits instead of allowing the fine to mount up and then jailing him?
    Last edited by Bi ciuin; 13th October 2010 at 05:47 PM.

Down to our lazy government again.

Electronic tagging has been a viable option for years but nothing has been done. Similarly there are a huge number of other options that are fairer, more effective and better use of taxpayers money.

Why can't people have their passport withdrawn or social welfare garnished (by a small amount) or tax relief removed?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

(Assuming everything said on the radio is true)

I'd agree. I'm not sure why you'd make a custodial order in a case like that. Put him to work on community service, make deductions from his welfare.

There seems to be a big jump from letters to a sentence of 46 days? Wouldn't there have been a point where he faced a judge?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok all, its on the site now.

RT.ie Media Player: RTÉ Radio 1

Scroll it across to the time of 1.03.38 for the part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I think tagging is an excellent idea. For too long criminals have been stealing with impunity, cocking a snoot at the law and laughing at the law-abiding majority. I don't think there's a single person in the country who hasn't been affected by their activities, had their lives ruined and sleep disrupted, worrying about whether they'll be next.

I'm all for tagging bankers.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    Was listening to Joe Duffy today when a mother rang in to say how her son had been jailed for 46 days for non payment of a litter fine.

For anyone who wants to try and listen to the podcast the call was made around 2.40pm today 13/10/10.

From what I understand of the call it appears the man had lost his job as a plumber and was unemployed but was attending college.

He had previously gone to a recycling centre and recycled some glass bottles and left the cardboard box behind. CCTV caught him leaving the box and recorded his number plate.

As I understand it he received the fine of €150, and for what ever reason it had now amounted to over €2,000.

The mother and her son and wrote to the Department of Justice asking for a reduction in the fine or to be able to pay be instalments, however no reply was received and despite numerous telephone calls still there was no response.

Today the Gardai arrived and arrested the man and took him to prision.

Now I have to say the lad was foolish no ignore the origional fine of €150 and allow it to mount up to over €2,000. However this once again highlights the unfairness of our laws where someone can be jailed for leaving a cardbox box at a recycling centre and yet people who have put this country into a mess are allowed to walk around free as a bird.

How mucgh will the jailing of this man cost the taxpayer?

Its time our laws were relooked at, why couldnt the court simply be allowed to deduct weekly payments of €5 from his unemployment benefits instead of allowing the fine to mount up and then jailing him?
    If only he'd left a few Euro in it for a previous Taoiseach the sucker would probably be a senator or a semi-state CEO right now. He deserves everything he gets for not having enough shekels or political clout to get him in with the right cute hoors before he got into this jam- don't the dogs in the street know that's how things work in this great little country.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't agree that anyone who is not a danger to society should get a jail sentence. some hours of community work should be the option.

BUT - people dumpung around at bottle banks is a disgusting habit. We have one in the village here (with no CCTV), boxes, bags, broken cooker hobs, electric heaters etc.

I know it was only one box, but why not bring it home.

Anyway, Talk To Joe will get him out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post

I'm all for tagging bankers.
    or bagging them!
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Biffomania View Post
    If only he'd left a few Euro in it for a previous Taoiseach the sucker would probably be a senator or a semi-state CEO right now. He deserves everything he gets for not having enough shekels or political clout to get him in with the right cute hoors before he got into this jam- don't the dogs in the street know that's how things work in this great little country.
    Of course they do - you don't see dogs in court getting fined for fouling the pavement. Cute hoors!
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe that particular story was aired on the radio about two years ago with the man explaining that he had used the cardboard box to carry the bottles to the recycle bin and then had nowhere to put the box except on the ground.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast