Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine Gael lodge official complaint with RTE over failure to name Waterford candidate

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Fine Gael lodge official complaint with RTE over failure to name Waterford candidate

Fine Gael have lodged a formal complaint with RTE because a reference to the Waterford Bye-election named an Independent candidate as the only declared candidate for election. FG's Paudie Coffey has been a candidate for six months, and he's calling on RTE's Prime Time to issue a correction.

After watching the bye-election report that Prime Time broadcast on Tuesday evening with great interest, I was left somewhat bemused by an inaccurate statement made during the programme, which stated that the only declared bye-election candidate in Waterford was an Independent Councillor, who, up to that point, had not declared.
    Fine Gael Waterford candidate Paudie Coffey

Fine Gael's statement this afternoon says that a press officer contacted RTE during the Prime Time show to ask them to make the correction on air.

The letter of complaint to RTE is below, and refers to the failure to mention Coffey as "damaging", the letter also demands that Primetime give Paudie an appearance on the show soon to make up for the ommission.

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/39258053/Fine-Gael-complaint-to-Prime-Time-re-Paudie-Coffey"]Fine Gael complaint to Prime Time re: Paudie Coffey@@AMEPARAM@@document_id=39258053&access_ key=key-21rkcc0i7k8s0o8qi24t&@@AMEPARAM@@39258053@@AME PARAM@@key-21rkcc0i7k8s0o8qi24t[/ame]

It is my firm hope that a clarification will be issued by Prime Time without delay so that the electorate, and Prime Time’s audience, can be kept properly informed.
    Fine Gael Waterford candidate Paudie Coffey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Shouldn't get a slot on the show, but Primetime should apologise on air. FG really need to cop themselves on though, this constant whining isn't how governments in waiting behave.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In fairness, fit of pique aside, it's a bit much for the States national broadcaster to miss the fact that there was another declared candidate in the field for months.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    In fairness, fit of pique aside, it's a bit much for the States national broadcaster to miss the fact that there was another declared candidate in the field for months.
    A sitting senator from the party of opposition as well. More than a little difficult to believe.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Shouldn't get a slot on the show, but Primetime should apologise on air. FG really need to cop themselves on though, this constant whining isn't how governments in waiting behave.
    This is exceptional to be fair.

Coffey has been declared for months, is a Senator, is the favourite to win the seat and has got a fair bit of media attention. To not state that he was a declared candidate is either bias or gross incompetence from RTE. I'd guess the second, but either way there has to be an apology and Fine Gael are right to complain. This isn't the same as Fine Gael complaining about a journalist attacking them or because of a certain angle they took on a story.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would have to concur with the general consensus. To omit a Senator having being informed by the party's press office well before and during the airing or the program is unprofessional and an on-air apology is certainly warranted.

The other requests are discretionary.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What constant whining....

Seems only whining going on is from posters on this site who are anti FG

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sync can you show any evidence that FG press office "whine" or complain about media treatment / exposure any more than the FF press office?
    "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor", Desmond Tutu

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    Sync can you show any evidence that FG press office "whine" or complain about media treatment / exposure any more than the FF press office?
    I'm sure he/she can. He/She called Tommy out as a Liar. I'm sure he/she wouldn't want to be seen as such.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This would never happen to FF. Their candidate would already have had an outing on the Late Late Show, or with Ballsy O Connor on Saturday night show.
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast