Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Economy has 'turned corner' says S&P

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Economy has 'turned corner' says S&P

"THE economy will recover more quickly than several other European countries and has 'turned a corner', world financial experts claimed last night.

A key global credit rating agency offered one of the most optimistic assessments to date of our prospects."

So say S&P.

Economy has 'turned corner' says top rating agency boss - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

What are they at? In the pay of the Government or what else can it be?

As the main headline in today's Independent I'm sure there must be several threads on this already. If so, I do apologise and ask that this thread be locked or do whatever is normally done with unnecessary threads.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And which 'corner' would that be???

And how much do we owe them for that piece of info.???

We must be looking better, as a risk.....time to celebrate what ff have brought us to!!!!

Please, don't make me sick with this talk of 'corners'.....tell that to those who have no work, or to those who have no heating, or who have to leave this country to find work!!!
    The hurt of one is the hurt of all, the honour of one is the honour of all.

Native American Indian Traditional Code of Ethics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm confused; why do they keep cutting our ratings then?

and placing us on negative watch

a feeble-minded soul like myself doesn't know what to make of it at all, at all
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"People think that the Irish political establishment may be suffering from exhaustion, reform fatigue. We actually do not detect that," he (Mr Beers) added.

That's the part I found most amusing. I don't think his views would be shared where they most count.

Really, S&P, along with the other rating agencies, has little credibility left, given their failure to predict the world-wide bust and their pathetic endorsement of the state of the US housing market right up to its downfall.

It would be nice to think that yet another corner had been turned but I'm beginning to think that all these corners are just part of the 10-acre hedge-maze we're stuck in, thanks to a lack of basic intelligence, integrity and leadership among our discredited politicians.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Turned another corner? Sounds like we're in a maze...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heh Heh

Ah Jaysis Tonic

Its absolutely wonderful that S and P have told us that we will rebound a lot faster than the rest of Europe and that we've turned the corner -

It sounds distinctly like a press release by somebody else this time last year telling us that we'd "turned the corner" - I suppose we're finally back where we started after turning all them corners.

Far be it from me to question the simultaneous outbursts of optimism coming from a few of the financial industry in a week where Brian Lenihan was visiting Wall Street - surely there is no connection?

I've just one further question - if our prospects are so good - why have S&P not improved our credit rating?.....................

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    "People think that the Irish political establishment may be suffering from exhaustion, reform fatigue. We actually do not detect that," he (Mr Beers) added.

That's the part I found most amusing. I don't think his views would be shared where they most count.

Really, S&P, along with the other rating agencies, has little credibility left, given their failure to predict the world-wide bust and their pathetic endorsement of the state of the US housing market right up to its downfall.

It would be nice to think that yet another corner had been turned but I'm beginning to think that all these corners are just part of the 10-acre hedge-maze we're stuck in, thanks to a lack of basic intelligence, integrity and leadership among our discredited politicians.
    +1. Well said.

Great news, I assume the tax increases are being shelved?
    “It is better to be human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be a Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.” John Stuart Mill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default This news comes as a tonic for the troops

That would be the corner from €50 billion to €90 billion.

... the €55bn estimate for the cost of bailing out the banking system will be comfortably exceeded, with Standard & Poor's now putting the likely figure at €90bn.
    S+P: Bailout may go from €50bn to €90bn. Last of our cash goes into the furnace.

S+P ("that toxic debt rates AAA") need to keep our shoulders to their wheel.
    Last edited by He3; 13th October 2010 at 01:01 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast