Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have Local Papers a Future?

Politics.ie Member thetruthsback's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Have Local Papers a Future?

As someone who enjoys reading the local papers, I am worried falling circulation will eventually lead to the inevitable demise of the local 'rag'. Can these titles be saved?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthsback View Post
    As someone who enjoys reading the local papers, I am worried falling circulation will eventually lead to the inevitable demise of the local 'rag'. Can these titles be saved?
    It is all about content. The local paper in my area has pages of crap about local GAA, I couldn't care less about U14 hurling or the U12 camogie blitz and there are pages and pages of that rubbish when half a page would do. The rest of the paper mostly consists of ads, photographs of random people, about four or five pages of "in memoriam" and novenas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredger View Post
    The rest of the paper mostly consists of ads, photographs of random people,.
    rather than random people i think local papers have too many pics and articles of local councilors and what they do. Some would feature in several pages of the same issue. Their time would be better spent focusing on hard news but then so much of what is in them is just press releases from local organisations. They depend too much on ad revenue to be anything more than advertisers for the establishment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredger View Post
    It is all about content. The local paper in my area has pages of crap about local GAA, I couldn't care less about U14 hurling or the U12 camogie blitz and there are pages and pages of that rubbish when half a page would do. The rest of the paper mostly consists of ads, photographs of random people, about four or five pages of "in memoriam" and novenas.
    AND - reporting from the local courts, with stories of people being caught relieving themselves at 4am in town, or a row between neighbours. One wouldn't need a diploma in journalism to do that job, being able to read and write would do. Anyway, I hate that kind of gossip being reported in a paper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    AND - reporting from the local courts, with stories of people being caught relieving themselves at 4am in town, or a row between neighbours. One wouldn't need a diploma in journalism to do that job, being able to read and write would do. Anyway, I hate that kind of gossip being reported in a paper.
    they are very quick to report that but have to lick the political and are slow sometimes to print anything really critical of the status quo though they do do pretend criticisms, more like playing at journalism

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There used to be two local freebies in our area, now there's only one, The Mayo Advertiser. The other one upset the Urban District Council who then refused to place adds in it or give any information to it so it went to the wall.

The highlight of the Mayo Advertiser is "Village Notes" by Liam Lawless, brilliant writer, absolute scream. There is frothing at the mouth from anyone older than 40 each Friday when it comes out because of the slagging Lawless gives village life and Father Fiachra. I love it. It's genius. The rest of the paper is cr*p though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    they are very quick to report that but have to lick the political and are slow sometimes to print anything really critical of the status quo though they do do pretend criticisms, more like playing at journalism
    Our local paper does the odd "Opinion Piece" but it is usually a long winded piece of showing off.

I used to buy it to look at the appointments page....PAGE, more like a little corner of the page now.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For those of you slagging off the regional press and expressing how you wouldn't need a diploma in journalism to write for one, let me tell you my story.

I graduated with a first class honours in a masters in journalism from an irish university, my first few national bylines under my belt already in the Sunday Independent.

I freelanced for a year for most of the nationals and was successfully published in the Irish Times, Independent, Examiner, Sunday Independent and once in the star.

Most of the time it was extremely difficult to get paid and ultimately I wasn't making enough money. There are currently very few jobs in journalism, so that I landed one in a regional paper was a massive relief to me.

The news values in local papers are different to the nationals as all that matters is the loacal angle. the focus on sport exists both due to local interest and the fact that a massive number of locals play sports or their children do. If they are mentioned or photographed in the paper then the odds of family members buying the paper increases.

Dispite inevitable cut backs in the production staff I'm fairly confident that regional press will survive as long as a sense of community exists. The decline in the regional press in america is exasperated by the mobility of the workforce there. That Irish people tend to be more settled bodes well for regional irish titles.

I'll bore ye no more

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalted View Post
    For those of you slagging off the regional press and expressing how you wouldn't need a diploma in journalism to write for one, let me tell you my story.

I graduated with a first class honours in a masters in journalism from an irish university, my first few national bylines under my belt already in the Sunday Independent.

I freelanced for a year for most of the nationals and was successfully published in the Irish Times, Independent, Examiner, Sunday Independent and once in the star.

Most of the time it was extremely difficult to get paid and ultimately I wasn't making enough money. There are currently very few jobs in journalism, so that I landed one in a regional paper was a massive relief to me.

The news values in local papers are different to the nationals as all that matters is the loacal angle. the focus on sport exists both due to local interest and the fact that a massive number of locals play sports or their children do. If they are mentioned or photographed in the paper then the odds of family members buying the paper increases.

Dispite inevitable cut backs in the production staff I'm fairly confident that regional press will survive as long as a sense of community exists. The decline in the regional press in america is exasperated by the mobility of the workforce there. That Irish people tend to be more settled bodes well for regional irish titles.

I'll bore ye no more
    Some of them are great, my better half buys it for the local sport. But, where I'm living the rest (for the most part) is lazy reporting.

You have studied journalism & are probably good at what you do. Do you not get tired of the ones who land a job because Uncle Politician got it for them. It happens here!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    There used to be two local freebies in our area, now there's only one, The Mayo Advertiser. The other one upset the Urban District Council who then refused to place adds in it or give any information to it so it went to the wall..
    that is why they only go so far with any criticism.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast