Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New canon laws bans defection from RC Church - archdiocese

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New canon laws bans defection from RC Church - archdiocese

The archdiocese of Dublin this afternoon in a press release stated that following the recent changes to canon law it will no longer be possible for individuals to formally defect from the church. However, it added that the Archdiocese intends to maintain a register to note the expressed desire of those who wish to defect.

The right to leave Catholicism has long been a fundamental right. (The official term in history for someone who left Catholicism, according to the Catholic Church, was a 'pervert'.)

Like just about everyone of my generation I went to school and college with, and work with, I am not a practising Catholic anymore. I honestly cannot name three people of my generation who are still Massgoers. I had never considered formally disengaging from Catholicism - though I have had some interest in the Church of Ireland and do know a couple of people who have left the Catholic Church to join it.

I find it appalling however that Pope Benedict XVI, having caused widespread offence by appearing to equate ordination of women with child sex abuse in terms of sanctions, not seems to have the attitude towards people who want to leave the Catholic Church of saving 'you can't. You are trapped. We will never let you leave'. So someone who may have been joined as a child to that religion, are to be debarred from as an adult leaving it.

Is it even legal under human rights to effectively trap someone in an organisation they themselves had no say in joining?

As a result of this change, organisations such as 'Count me out' that previously could enable people to leave the Catholic Church have had to stop their service as Rome sees membership of Catholicism as a type of prison from which there is no escape.

Sometimes I can only wonder what some of collective idiocy and stupidity exists in the Vatican, or are they trying to establish a world record for doing the greatest number of utterly stupid things in one year?

Last edited by TommyO'Brien; 12th October 2010 at 11:35 PM.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Gimpanzee

What would Groucho Marx make of a club that wouldn't let you not be a member?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nice one Gimp

You really couldn't make it up.

How will this affect those in Germany who are tithed direct ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Last few days on here!
    Why is it your last few days?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can check out anytime you want
    But you can never leave

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh
    How will this affect those in Germany who are tithed direct ?
    No prob for anyone over 40 - they will understand the concept cos they grew up with the Wall.
    Last edited by He3; 12th October 2010 at 11:51 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Aww trust the catholic church to shoot itself in the foot again. To stop masses of people leaving they simply don't allow them too anymore but keep a register of people who wish to defect.

Now all we need is a high profile court case to bring it crashing down?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this a joke??? If it is true it is a joke anyway! How do they propose "locking" us in ? Have these old men finally lost their marbles?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default If you want to leave, leave.

Just write to them, e-mail your diocese, and perhaps send a registered letter.

Tell them you no longer wish to be identified with their organistation.

If they have trouble dealing with that concept, that's their problem.
    Thank you Mr. Crotty.

I never really felt much motivation to formally defect. It’s a makey-uppy club and I felt formally defecting would be taking it more seriously than I should.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would this contravene data protection legislation in any way?

i.e. By holding untrue information about irish citizens?
    The one thing I know is I can't know anything else...

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast