Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilmore supports Water Charges!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gilmore supports Water Charges!!

According to today's Irish Times Eamon Gilmore favours Water Charges!!

He's a long way from his old days of fighting elections on the slogan of "NO SERVICE CHARGES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is manna from heaven for the Shinners!!!

Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano View Post
    According to today's Irish Times Eamon Gilmore favours Water Charges!!

He's a long way from his old days of fighting elections on the slogan of "NO SERVICE CHARGES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is manna from heaven for the Shinners!!!
    Water should be charged for. There are the costs of maintenance of the infrastructure (pumps, pipework, valves, reservoirs etc), costs of storage, costs of disposal (drains etc), and costs of purification. Then there are the costs of pollution. I can see no arguement against water charges if you have any form of supply or drain.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A view from England View Post
    Water should be charged for. There are the costs of maintenance of the infrastructure (pumps, pipework, valves, reservoirs etc), costs of storage, costs of disposal (drains etc), and costs of purification. Then there are the costs of pollution. I can see no arguement against water charges if you have any form of supply or drain.
    I agree with you, but the reality is that Gilmore and Rabbitte and co built their political careers on the basis that they were opposed to water/service charges!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If this is true, then it could well be the first wind-breaker to go up to slowdown the Gilmore Gale!

Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with you, but the reality is that Gilmore and Rabbitte and co built their political careers on the basis that they were opposed to water/service charges!
    Ah. I didn't know that. Then they are typical two faced lying politicians then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Labour =FF =FG they are all the same.Fix the Leaks then and only then can you have water charges

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about people out in the sticks with septic tanks? Well supplies? Are you going to charge them as well??

This country is not like the UK where 98% of water is mains supplied and similar for sewerage.

Water charges will only work here for those major towns and cities where sewerage and water are both mains.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FYI - we are already paying for it!

This is just more taxation of people to bail out International Capitalism!

Also an undue burden will fall on low or medium paid householders

- as the rich will not be much out of pocket

- & the unemployed will be exempt.

+ the so called Asylum Seekers

- and Roma Gypsies (now being housed in private houses in Dublin West!)

- are not going to be asked for this extra contribution either.

More effective discrimination against wage earning Home Owners!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1888bhoys View Post
    Fix the Leaks then and only then can you have water charges
    Do you have any idea how costly the remediation water mains actually is? In many instances it is cheaper in the long term to provide additional production capacity than it is to carry out sufficient replacement of mains.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Gilmore favours increased tax for high earners and no welfare cuts - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 12, 2010

He did say the party would favour water charges as long as metering was introduced.
    Seems sane to me.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast