Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Is giving a baby for adoption more stigmatized than abortion or single parenthood?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is giving a baby for adoption more stigmatized than abortion or single parenthood?

From discussions I have had recently with girls my own age group (around the mid-20s) it does seem like this is the case....What are other people's impressions on this topic?

Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStars View Post
    From discussions I have had recently with girls my own age group (around the mid-20s) it does seem like this is the case....What are other people's impressions on this topic?
    I have no idea which one is more stigmatized but surely there is a case for better (and possibly compulsory) contraception?

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'Unpopular' does not necessarily mean 'stigmatised'.

There may or may not be good reasons for unpopularity.

There are some professionals that recommend adoption in very many sets of circumstances a pregnant woman may find herself in, there are others who would advocate it in very few.

I have my doubts "stigmatisation" is an appropriate word for a present popular current (possibly among young women in their twenties) that would tend to agree with the judgement of the latter type of professional.

It might be, but I don't think so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In Ireland, adpotion rates are circa 0.4 per 100 live births versus 3 per 100 live births in United States. But I think Ireland is in line with a European average while America is significantly higher.

0.4 per 100 seems very low considering the comparitively high number of unplanned pregnancies, greater than 10%.

I don't know if adoption is considered in general a more stigmatized option that abortion as abortion can be kept a private matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You have a point. There is a stigma about adoption and in some societies it is less socially acceptable than abortion.

It is a curious attitude and I've never really thought about it until now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    You have a point. There is a stigma about adoption and in some societies it is less socially acceptable than abortion.

It is a curious attitude and I've never really thought about it until now.
    The logic behind it is that abortion "cleanly" solves the "problemn" while with adoption people will say that it will cause confusion about their identity and so suffering for the adopted child.

Noticing it struck me as strange too...Particularly the strong feelings some people have against adoption.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStars View Post
    The logic behind it is that abortion "cleanly" solves the "problemn" while with adoption people will say that it will cause confusion about their identity and so suffering for the adopted child.

Noticing it struck me as strange too...Particularly the strong feelings some people have against adoption.
    We all know many many people who are adopted and some do have big issues with it. But if the choice is having an identity crisis (which many non adopted people have too) or being aborted I suspect 100% of adopted children would go for the identity crisis than never having been born at all

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fides View Post
    We all know many many people who are adopted and some do have big issues with it. But if the choice is having an identity crisis (which many non adopted people have too) or being aborted I suspect 100% of adopted children would go for the identity crisis than never having been born at all
    I find their attitude strange. I dont understand the hostility to adoption at all.

Male children in particular need a father.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont understand the stigma attached to abortion at all. If a mother gives her child up for adoption because she is unable to care for it then i think she is making a decision that is in the best interest of the child and of course for herself to a lesser extent perhaps.

Abortion is a decision made by the mother (and other family members) for the mother.

As a previous poster correctly said i think the child would prefer the identity to crisis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you adopt a fetus? I am against late abortion and i think that abortion overall is a subject worth discussing, it is not good enough to say it is simply a womans choice and not look at all the wider issues, But their is a difference between offering a child (baby) up for adoption and deciding to abort a fetus early in the pregnancy. They are simply dealing with two different things, one ends a pregnancy, one is dealing with the future of a living breathing human.
    All is not as it apears in the op.