Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESRI wants to replace PRSI with social charge

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default ESRI wants to replace PRSI with social charge

The ESRI have put forward plans for a social charge to replace PRSI.
    It would be a universal 7.5% charge that would replace PRSI and the income levies
    RT News: ESRI proposes universal social charge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

first impression are that this would be great news for high earners? currently the extras add up to 12%

I'm sure they'll screw around with the bands and possibly even the rates to compensate. No doubt the PRSI ceiling will go too.
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@ Charley - the minister for finance announced this last year in his budget speech. The change itself is not news, its how it is proposed to be implemented which is the news and this is what the ESRI is commenting on so it is untrue to state the ESRI want to replace PRSI with a "Social Charge"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF will love this bit

The top rate taxpayers would see their marginal rate fall from 52% to 48.5%.

However, all other income groups would lose out, unless there was a compensating mechanism, such as higher top income tax rates.
    Assuming any of their sponsors are still paying tax in this country, that is..
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about the health levy ? Why not simplfy the public sector pension at the same time, I now have 4 separate deductions on my paycheck related to pension, yet I only get one ? And that doesn't even include my prsi which is also supposed to be a pension deduction aswell.

Pay
    - tax
    - social levy
    - pension
    = take home pay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnster View Post
    @ Charley - the minister for finance announced this last year in his budget speech. The change itself is not news, its how it is proposed to be implemented which is the news and this is what the ESRI is commenting on so it is untrue to state the ESRI want to replace PRSI with a "Social Charge"
    Who feeds the Dog the bone?
    Answer = Department of finance.
    Two acute Addicts been fed by the taxpayer but operating INDEPENDENTLY I suppose?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what the fu-k has this country come to, robbing thre poor again to help the rich, and people still spport this government

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It should also encompass Employer's PRSI... this is a "stealth tax", often forgotten about
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    It should also encompass Employer's PRSI... this is a "stealth tax", often forgotten about
    €2500 APPROX per year for employing someone on minimum wage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    it's actually pretty low by euro standards but you make a good point, if we want to encourage job creation then we need to actively incentivise employers to hire
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast