Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A 20 year old's take on her prospects when government chooses banks over people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A 20 year old's take on her prospects when government chooses banks over people

How did you see your future at 20? Aisling Twomey (20), about to graduate, gives us something to think over.

At 20, and I mean this with no exaggeration, I feel quite terminally worthless and helpless to do anything about it.

I was always so sure that I would stay here, live here, work here and thrive here. I felt, as I grew into a booming economy that offered me a lot and took nothing away, that I had a great hand to play and more cards to refresh my stock should some options not work out.

Now I don’t think I have an ace in the hole; my options are disappearing from my hand quite quickly, because my Government prefers to save the bankers than the youth of the nation.

If I stay in Ireland, I’ll be forced to pay for that preference – a preference I resent, made by a leadership that devalues me; a preference I never made.

I don’t expect to be in Ireland to pay the price of that failure. A generation is turning its back on the State. We might forever be seen as unpatriotic. We could have waited, they’ll say; we could have stuck it out.

That’s all fine and well – but I won’t take lessons in patriotism from a Government that chooses banks over people.

As Brian Cowen himself has said – I find that to be beyond the pale.

State that chooses banks over people has no right to talk patriotism - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 12, 2010
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If I was a young graduate with no responsibilities here, I would get the hell out of Ireland. Why stay here and spend your working life paying for this mess? Go abroad and live in a properly run country where your taxes will go towards paying for well run public services and not towards banks and their bondholders.

The only thing holding me here is that my wife is reluctant to move unless things get really bad for us. Mrs. Cato is a home bird. If it was my choice alone we would be out of here.

Life in exile abroad would be preferable to life in slavery here.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would ask that everyone stays put untill after the election. One last good act for the people left behind. Leave with your head high knowing that you left a FF free Ireland behind. If you are in a big hurry to get out then help force an election and then go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    How did you see your future at 20? Aisling Twomey (20), about to graduate, gives us something to think over.

At 20, and I mean this with no exaggeration, I feel quite terminally worthless and helpless to do anything about it.

I was always so sure that I would stay here, live here, work here and thrive here. I felt, as I grew into a booming economy that offered me a lot and took nothing away, that I had a great hand to play and more cards to refresh my stock should some options not work out.

Now I don’t think I have an ace in the hole; my options are disappearing from my hand quite quickly, because my Government prefers to save the bankers than the youth of the nation.

If I stay in Ireland, I’ll be forced to pay for that preference – a preference I resent, made by a leadership that devalues me; a preference I never made.

I don’t expect to be in Ireland to pay the price of that failure. A generation is turning its back on the State. We might forever be seen as unpatriotic. We could have waited, they’ll say; we could have stuck it out.

That’s all fine and well – but I won’t take lessons in patriotism from a Government that chooses banks over people.

State that chooses banks over people has no right to talk patriotism - The Irish Times - Tue, Oct 12, 2010

At twenty years of age this young lass sounds like a 70 year old woman, for heavens sake young people need to wake up and smell the coffee, it was never easy at twenty to make it in life except for the spoilt brats that had everything handed to them during the celtic tiger years. This lass should get her backpack and travel.

This crying from a twenty year old is so annoying when there are people struggling with mortages and families. To be honest a kick in the ass comes to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neversaydie View Post
    At twenty years of age this young lass sounds like a 70 year old woman, for heavens sake young people need to wake up and smell the coffee, it was never easy at twenty to make it in life except for the spoilt brats that had everything handed to them during the celtic tiger years. This lass should get her backpack and travel.

This crying from a twenty year old is so annoying when there are people struggling with mortages and families. To be honest a kick in the ass comes to mind.
    Maybe the young lass doesn't want to struggle with mortgages and families. What she sees is that one buys a house at an inflated price. Then the house becomes a liability, a millstone around one's neck. All thanks to sleaze, corruption and ineptitude of the people elected to run the country.

You may take your high horse and run it out of the stable before the door gets shut...

I haven't mentioned the poor educational system, hospital care or the myriad of other failings in this failed Banana republic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post

Interesting how many times she uses "I" this and "I" that.. It's all about me!!.... with 'We' only mentioned 3 times..

Smacks of false expectations nurtured by cheap borrowed money and never being told 'No' by mummy or daddy... The celtic cubs suffer from entitlement-itis.

I agree on the banks over people perspective though, think most people do.

SO she happy to have availed of everything the country provided but doesn't feel she needs to pay any of it back.

Sounds like a smug self serving graduate who feels someone owes her a living.

Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1.

If this whining graduate had anything about her she would be looking to create wealth and jobs utilising the skills she has learnt on the back of the Irish taxpayer who has funded her education. Instead she is looking for an easy way out. Too many young people look for an easy life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah Aisling, go sow your wild oats in Bondi beach for a year, have the 'craic' and then come back and put that bridle on over your head like everybody else and stop your whinging and crying. - If such lack of imagination and spirit was good enough for the rest of us, it should be good enough for you. Join the herd, Aisling. You'll soon get over your desire to speak your real mind in front of the Irish public.
    “Words are animals, alive with a will of their own”.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast