Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: British Media Unite Against Murdoch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default British Media Unite Against Murdoch

British media join forces against Murdoch takeover of BSkyB | Media | The Guardian

Several big British media companies are petitioning the government to block Rupert Murdoch's proposed full take-over of BSkyB a.k.a Sky (Murdoch currently controls 39%)

In a joint letter to Business Secretary Vince Cable, Guardian Newpapers, The Telegraph and The Mail Group stated
    the proposed takeover could have serious and far-reaching consequences for media plurality.
    David Cameron's right-hand man is Andy Coulson, the former News Of The World editor, who resigned over the still less than fully investigated phone-hacking affair.

Anyone concerned about the power of Murdoch's News Interational Group in the UK should watch last week's Dispatches program which examined that particular scandal.

Dispatches - Tabloids, Tories and Telephone Hacking - Channel 4
    Last edited by picador; 12th October 2010 at 03:17 AM.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Good programme. It's level of influence is startling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyBoogaloo View Post
    Good programme. It's level of influence is startling.
    And of course Murdoch is now building his Irish empire!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'd never wish death on another human being and that includes r murdoch.

however, sometimes i do find myself wondering exactly how much more damage he will do before he finally slides into oblivion.

he's nearly 80 but he seems to be as full of beans as ever.

Politics.ie Member slippy wicket's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stoichkov View Post

however, sometimes i do find myself wondering exactly how much more damage he will do before he finally slides into oblivion.

he's nearly 80 but he seems to be as full of bile as ever.
    FYP
    He is a thoroughly unpleasant human being.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he's nearly 80 but he seems to be as full of beans as ever.
    Irish political life has enough problems as it without Murdoch sticking his very lucrative oar in.

Politics.ie Member Squire Allworthy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wish someone would call this man's news business to account before that happens.

The conduct of these newspapers should be challenged. Police cooperating should be prosecuted and questions need to be asked about the size and influence of News International. No news baron nor his businesses should be able to consider themselves above the law because of the information that he may have on individuals or perceptions of the stance his newspapers may take.

If they are indeed innocent and lily white then they should welcome a thorough investigation.

For once in my life I find myself wishing George Galloway well in his case, but it is to the eternal shame of the rest of our politicians that we should have to rely on George.

I would have expected more from the current government. I now wonder what the three lilly flowers on the field of sable stand for on the Arms of Eton. Esto perpetua, well the shame of it will last forever if ignored.

Better a pussycat than a poodle.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A Pausing Dispatches Program, clearly theres a conspiracy of silence. May be a naive question here but I know that -

News corp can "go after" or "shut up" the police in a media frenzy attack (dig up anything and everything) so that would affect them.

News corp can "go after" politicians by personal stories about them or their family which no person would want.

But how exactly could it "go after" other media groups e.g. the guardian. So what if they publish personal attacks on the journalists or the editors. They will come and go anyway but the guardian is still there to keep the story burning? Or is it simply the case, as with the other two, of we know where the guardians skeletons are burried?

But overall, isn't it terrible that in the running of a country like Britain, this 12 year old school girl intimidation appears to be the only game in town. And, not to get too deep, but if this is the game that these "Grand Polished English Men" play, it makes them look like dirty weasles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jquinn View Post
    A Pausing Dispatches Program, clearly theres a conspiracy of silence. May be a naive question here but I know that -

News corp can "go after" or "shut up" the police in a media frenzy attack (dig up anything and everything) so that would affect them.

News corp can "go after" politicians by personal stories about them or their family which no person would want.

But how exactly could it "go after" other media groups e.g. the guardian. So what if they publish personal attacks on the journalists or the editors. They will come and go anyway but the guardian is still there to keep the story burning? Or is it simply the case, as with the other two, of we know where the guardians skeletons are burried?

But overall, isn't it terrible that in the running of a country like Britain, this 12 year old school girl intimidation appears to be the only game in town. And, not to get too deep, but if this is the game that these "Grand Polished English Men" play, it makes them look like dirty weasles.
    Digger is an Australian with US nationality. He knows a lot of stuff about a lot of people in a lot of countries.