Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian politicians subvert EU women’s rights bill.

Default Christian politicians subvert EU women’s rights bill.

The original report said that conscientious objection should be limited to doctors and nurses but not to medical institutions like hospitals; that doctors and nurses with an objection to a procedure such as abortion must refer the patient to someone who does not have such an objection, and that in emergencies they must carry out the procedures themselves.

The report, previously entitled Women's access to lawful medical care: the problem of unregulated use of conscientious objection, had also suggested that States should compel health-care providers to perform euthanasia on patients under certain circumstances and that a ‘registry of conscientious objectors’ be created.
    Twenty-nine amendments were tabled to the report however, transforming the report into a resolution affirming the right to conscientiously object to abortion.

The final resolution of the report read: “no person and no hospital or institution shall be coerced, held liable or discriminated against in any manner because of a refusal to perform, accommodate, assist or submit to an abortion [...].”

Ms McCafferty, the original author of the report, was forced to vote against the final resolution due to its radical transformation.
    Council of Europe vote on religious freedom "momentous": Senator

Once again the whims of Christians are given unfair privilege. Patient care should be paramount.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Uh. What's the issue here? Abortion isn't legal in Ireland. How could the original version have been enforced here in any way shape or form?

The rest of the Irish delegation, Fianna Fáil TDs, Mr Frank Fahey, Ms Cecilia Keaveney and Mr Peter Kelly, Fine Gael TD Mr Patrick Breen and Labour TD Joe Costello along with Fianna Fáil Senator Terry Leyden and Fine Gael Senator Joseph O'Reilly, were not present.
    Top stuff....
    Last edited by Sync; 11th October 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Council of Europe is not an EU institution. The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe is not an EU institution. This resolution is not a law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And, for the record, abortion probably is legal in very limited circumstances. Of course, getting legislation onto the books is another matter altogether.

Vive la technique autruche!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Uh. What's the issue here? Abortion isn't legal in Ireland. How could the original version have been enforced here in any way shape or form?
    I think the effort under way is to advance causes like abortion and euthenasia to the level where they are percieved as legally established practices in all jurisdictions, whether permitted or not. If fascilitated in common EU law, the inference is that to deny practice of either is to act illegally. The whole campaign circumvents the fact that many people who object to abortion do not do so out of religious beliefs. Yet the campiagn seems to be intent on relegating all objectors to the role of quasi-religous nuts. Inveresly the movement that seeks to ban all abortion could seek to have the ban on capitol punishment extended to abortion. Its all distortion, smoke and mirrors.

What is most objectionable about this story is not the issues of abortion of euthenasia, but the attempt to circumvent the hippocratic oath and force medical practicioners to either stop practicing or face prosecution. The issue of legality is being used to cirumvent morality. That this grubby attempt at a quick victory by the back door has been shot down is welcome news indeed.
    Last edited by Thac0man; 11th October 2010 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    What is most objectionable about this story is not the issues of abortion of euthenasia, but the attempt to circumvent the hypocratic oath and force medical practicioners to either stop practicing or face prosecution. The issue of legality is being used to cirumvent morality.
    I'd certainly take that point. I'm pro-choice and very pro-Europe, but we have an agreement that abortion is within the Irish electorate's wheelhouse. Outsiders shouldn't be trying to interfere with that.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I'd certainly take that point. I'm pro-choice and very pro-Europe, but we have an agreement that abortion is within the Irish electorate's wheelhouse. Outsiders shouldn't be trying to interfere with that.
    We have an agreement with the EU.

Neither the Council of Europe, nor the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, which debated and voted on this report, are institutions of the EU.

This report has nothing to do with the EU.

Neither is this report a bill, which is a proposed law.

The thread title should read 'Christian politicians subvert Council of Europe women's rights report'.
    Last edited by sondagefaux; 11th October 2010 at 04:20 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    I think the effort under way is to advance causes like abortion and euthenasia to the level where they are percieved as legally established practices in all jurisdictions, whether permitted or not. If fascilitated in common EU law, the inference is that to deny practice of either is to act illegally. The whole campaign circumvents the fact that many people who object to abortion do not do so out of religious beliefs. Yet the campiagn seems to be intent on relegating all objectors to the role of quasi-religous nuts. Inveresly the movement that seeks to ban all abortion could seek to have the ban on capitol punishment extended to abortion. Its all distortion, smoke and mirrors.

What is most objectionable about this story is not the issues of abortion of euthenasia, but the attempt to circumvent the hypocratic oath and force medical practicioners to either stop practicing or face prosecution. The issue of legality is being used to cirumvent morality. That this grubby attempt at a quick victory by the back door has been shot down is welcome news indeed.
    That's Hippocratic oath, named for Hippocrates, an early Greek doctor; although given the hypocrisy of many who take it, perhaps your spelling is more appropriate.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So the womans right subverts the childs right to life and my own right to not take part in murder? Ah modern liberalism, makes total sense.

Politics.ie Member kerdasi amaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All this talk about "womens rights" is designed to create a social atmosphere were compulsory abortion becomes acceptable.

"right to choose" really means no right to say NO.
    We have got as much as we are going to get out of Europe; it is, now, time to leave!
    EUROPA CONVENTUS DELENDA EST!...Whistle out the marching tune.....27

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast