Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Dea: Have general election if 4 year program can't be agreed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default O'Dea: Have general election if 4 year program can't be agreed

On Today with PK just now Willie O Dea made what I consider to be a significant statement that has not really been picked up on. He said if a 4 year program cannot be agreed between parties it "would be better to have a General Election"

So I take it that means if Gilmore and Kenny told FF to go to hell right now it would trigger a General Election. It was an extraordinary thing to say. Game's nearly up I think.

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's only saying what everyone believes - I think FF back bench getting wary of the quartet of power making all the rules and making average FF TD's life harder.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a planned statement to either keep FF in power for four more years or give them a little boost (ie. this argument that the opposition refused to "help") ahead of the inevitable election.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not going to help Fianna Fail.
    FG and Labour will broadly agree the 4 year plan, and it will come down to who is best suited to implementing it. We will then conclude that that makes little difference either and all that will remain is that Fianna Fail deserve a sound kicking just because we are angry.
    I predict an election in May or early June, which is about how long the Dail can muddle through after the by-elections. Assuming FF don't win Donegal, which they might.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He hates the Greens, and since this Tallaght Strategy 2.0 is a green idea, he hates that too.
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, what?

A four year plan agreed with who?

Fianna Fail are in power with the Greens, who else do they need to agree?
    They're in government, right?

Or is a case of when the going gets tough Fianna Fail try to dump their responsibilities on everyone else?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This is kind of a clever approach from FF. Not so much from Willy, because he doesn't really care, he'll be elected next time out anyway, but from the party.

FF offer to hold budget talks. They make as super specific as they can. You don't want broad brush strokes here, you want real detail. The impact of that would be:
    A: FG will broadly agree because really, there's no difference between them and FF on the cuts to be made.
    B: Labour will either go along, or balk at the inevitable cuts to the PS.
    C: Both will say "Sod off we want an election first"

Now in A's case, you get to send the message to the electorate that FG agree with the incumbent govt's policies. In B: You either get the unions abandoning Labour, or some of the middle class voters abandoning them. C: You run the risk of FF being able to sell that they were the only ones out for the country, and the other 2 are out for themselves.

If I was Kenny and Gilmore, I'd get together and get the parties to state clearly, repeatedly, that any discussion about a cross party agreed budget takes place only after an election.
    Last edited by Sync; 11th October 2010 at 12:16 PM.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    This is kind of a clever approach from FF. Not so much from Willy, because he doesn't really care, he'll be elected next time out anyway, but from the party.

FF offer to hold budget talks. They make as super specific as they can. You don't want broad brush strokes here, you want real detail. The impact of that would be:
    A: FG will broadly agree because really, there's no difference between them and FF on the cuts to be made.
    B: Labour will either go along, or balk at the inevitable cuts to the PS.
    C: Both will say "Sod off we want an election first"

Now in A's case, you get to send the message to the electorate that FG agree with the incumbent govt's policies. In B: You either get the unions abandonning Labour, or some of the middle class voters abandonning them. C: You run the risk of FF being able to sell that they were the only ones out for the country, and the other 2 are out for themselves.

If I was Kenny and Gilmore, I'd get together and get the parties to state clearly, repeatedly, that any discussion about a cross party agreed budget takes place only after an election.
    Broadly agree with the thrust of this. I just do not think it is that clever .F*** up and blame the other guy for not assisting you out of the hole-basic stuff and terribly transparent .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anons View Post
    Sounds like a planned statement to either keep FF in power for four more years or give them a little boost (ie. this argument that the opposition refused to "help") ahead of the inevitable election.
    The only people who would believe that is the 20% of screwballs that would still vote ff anyway, and their a lost cause. Although no doubt there'd be some sindo poll saying a majority want a national government, they must have a database of every kamikaze nutjob in the country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Fine Gael & Labour agree on next Budget they'll be blamed by FF on the Failure.

If Fine Gael & Labour refuse to agree on Next Budget they'll be blamed by FF in stalling progress and damaging the state.

Its a Lose Lose for FG & labour no matter what.

Labour, Fine Gael & SF need a joint statement and move jointly together on this

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast