Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homophobia in Eastern Europe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Homophobia in Eastern Europe

Anybody looking at the news over the weekend could not have failed to see the incredible homophobic riots in Serbia

Serb police clash with anti-gay rioters - Yahoo! News

Some of you may remeber the veteran British gay rights campaigner Mr Peter Tatchell and Right Said Fred singer Richard Fairbass being assaulted in Moscow.

In Russia, Gays and Lesbians Struggle Against Widespread Hostility - US News and World Report

Interesting article

http://www.eurotopics.net/en/archiv/...hobie_2007_08/

(i know it dates back to 2007.)

With Serbia already having submitted it's application to join the E.U. We have to ask ourselves do we want to see scenes like the ones in Belgrade over the weekend becoming a regular occurence?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it should be on the agenda of conditions for EU membership.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    We have to ask ourselves do we want to see scenes like the ones in Belgrade over the weekend becoming a regular occurence?
    We have to ask ourselves this?! Really?! Because there is a possibility somebody might answer yes??

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Homophobia is bad in Eastern Europe, but I actually think the Serbian State should be recognised as having stood up to these bigots, which is more that the Russian Police ever did.

Serbia took a lot of crap from the west when it suited our leaders to demonise them, but they come out of this pretty well. They have their share of neo-Nazis & suchlike, but they are actually a relatively civillised people for that part of the World.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Perhaps the ordinary Serb does not sign up to 'liberal values' like the rest of west. For most people dancing half naked on the streets simulating sex act is revolting to the vast majority of people. We accept it under the guise of 'tolerance'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Homophobes are often closet homosexuals themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
    We have to ask ourselves this?! Really?! Because there is a possibility somebody might answer yes??
    The Serb government must be brought in an asked what measures are they drawing up to prevent incidents like this from spilling into a bloodbath.

The attacks are alledgedly orchestrated by neo nazi groups, this wasn't a few yobs rioting for the craic. If it wasn't for the bravery of the Serb Police we could be faced with multiple deaths on the streets of Belgrade.

You might not think this is a concern but i do.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ica View Post
    Perhaps the ordinary Serb does not sign up to 'liberal values' like the rest of west. For most people dancing half naked on the streets simulating sex act is revolting to the vast majority of people. We accept it under the guise of 'tolerance'.
    So you have evidence that this was going on in Belgrade?

Are you saying 'ordinary Serbs' are a buch of homophobic neo nazi's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Homophobia is bad in Eastern Europe, but I actually think the Serbian State should be recognised as having stood up to these bigots, which is more that the Russian Police ever did.

Serbia took a lot of crap from the west when it suited our leaders to demonise them, but they come out of this pretty well. They have their share of neo-Nazis & suchlike, but they are actually a relatively civillised people for that part of the World.
    Yeah i have to applaud the actions of the Serb Police, from what i've seen and read about the incidents it was the Police who prevented killings on the streets of Belgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post

Your first point I have to agree with as the offices of the ruling party were also torched by the protesters. As to you second point, there is a disparity in Serbia is between the old Milosovic era ultra-nationalists and the new emerging Serbian nationalists under Boris Tadic. The former were rightly demonised when their representitive leaders were in charge of Serbian affairs. It would be a mistake to identify Tadic as not being a nationalist or not being nationalist enough. He is the leader of the Serbian state and a democratic alternative to the neanderthal mob thrashing Belgrade streets over this parade. The same mob that was given free rein under Milosivic to represent the further the goal of a 'greater Serbia'.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast