Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian FSB used irish passports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Russian FSB used irish passports

Interesting story this. It seems one of the Russian agents returned by the US to Russia was using a fake Irish passport. More accuratly the passport or the profile of a real one were stolen from someone involved in an Irish charity working in Russia:

RT News: Russian spy passport link investigated

Might we now expect the expulsion of a Russian diplomat as happened to Israel when it abused Irish passports?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    Might we now expect the expulsion of a Russian diplomat as happened to Israel when it abused Irish passports?
    It should be done.

Maybe the government should start issuing one-use passports for travel to dodgy places like Israel and Russia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes and lets write a stongly worded letter, because i doubt the russians give two hoots about what a tiny country on the outskirts of Europe does or says.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Yes and lets write a stongly worded letter, because i doubt the russians give two hoots about what a tiny country on the outskirts of Europe does or says.
    The expulsion of a diplomatic official is not a small matter and has been done before in relation to the abuse of Irish passports recently. In terms of a statement it is much stronger than any "strongly worded letter".

I am of the opinion that we in Ireland should have a legal mechanism which is triggered by such Irish passport abuse by foreign powers. That way all sanction is automatic and applied without bias. If the government fails to act it could be compelled to do so, if it does act it has the defence of being bound by Irish law to act. Thus any foreign power abusing Irish passports would know that, if caught, there will be fall out.

It would reinforce the value that Irish passports have instead of seeing them debased for foreign intelligence services use. It does not matter what Moscow or Tel Aviv think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am of the opinion that we in Ireland should have a legal mechanism which is triggered by such Irish passport abuse by foreign powers. That way all sanction is automatic and applied without bias. If the government fails to act it could be compelled to do so, if it does act it has the defence of being bound by Irish law to act. Thus any foreign power abusing Irish passports would know that, if caught, there will be fall out.

It would reinforce the value that Irish passports have instead of seeing them debased for foreign intelligence services use. It does not matter what Moscow or Tel Aviv think.
    What happens when the American's do it? We would be shooting ourselves in the foot if we tried to 'sanction' them.

Stealling a passport for use by spies is a political act - I prefer it is dealt with politically rather than legally.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They will be shaking in their boots when we launch air strikes.

That's our entire air force by the way - there really are four planes. No photoshop tricks!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reminds me of the Cold War story of the Russian "sleeper" that was strategically placed in Killarney by the KGB. One day,, they decided that they would have to use him for garnering information so they called for Ivan, his handler to travel to Ireland to brief him on his duties.

Ivan was instructed to go to Killarney and make contact with the sleeper who was called Michael O'Suilleabhan. The code words were "There is 6 inches of snow expected on Carrahntouhill this week" to which the reply was "Yes, it is bound to destroy the potato crop"

So Ivan arrived in Killarney and went into the first pub he saw. He went up to the barman and asked "Hey, comrade, could you direct me to Michael O'Suilleabhan please?". The barman looked at him and said "There's a lot of Mickey O'Sullivans around - in fact my own name is Mickey O'Sullivan. Can I help you?"

"There is six inches of snow expected on Carrahntouhill this week" says Ivan

Ah, said the barman, "Tis Mickey the spy you're looking for - he's over there in the corner"

Quote Originally Posted by niropiro View Post
    They will be shaking in their boots when we launch air strikes.

That's our entire air force by the way - there really are four planes. No photoshop tricks!
    We don't have an air force nor have we ever had one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any one of three former FF leaders could have sold the Russians passports for money/investment, Charlie, Albert or the fav - Ahern, they all have form in this department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The expulsion of a diplomatic official is not a small matter and has been done before in relation to the abuse of Irish passports recently. In terms of a statement it is much stronger than any "strongly worded letter".

We floged passports to the highest bidders for god sake, our own governments weren't to bothered about debasing them. Why would the Isrealis or the Russian care.

It has happend before and will continue to happen, expect a lot more countries to be abusing them. Now that the cats out of the bag Irsish passport holders will probably be scrutinised more than the cursory glance that we would be used to.
    Last edited by eoghanacht; 11th October 2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast