Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Creationism is all around us.

Politics.ie Member nozzferrahhtoo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Creationism is all around us.

So while the DUP up North have been hammering away with their Creationist Ideals and our own Science Minister has been launching Anti Evolution Texts using his elected office title to do so.... a group in Scotland have now joined the fray.

Headed by "a Northern Irish professor of genetics" the group has already been asked to speak in schools in Scotland.

Their geneticist leader believes Adam was “a real historical person” among other claims such as "the universe is created in six days, God makes Eve out of Adam’s rib, and Noah saves the Earth by building an ark."

Even more incredibly however, they claim that the theory of intelligent design is not religious in nature... a true leap of faith if ever I heard one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Clearly, these groups have been emboldened by the success (or apparent success) of anti-science movements like the Tea Party. By using buzzwords like "sound science", they seek to infiltrate thsie religion and ideology into science and make some aspects of scientific enquiry "politically incorrect".

WE should all monitor and oppose these interlopers where we can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For someone who claims that all they wish for is that God should not be part of the daily narrative due to the absence of 'evidence' you certainly contribute your fair share to denying your wish. If you don't wish to speak of God, don't.
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edifice. View Post
    For someone who claims that all they wish for is that God should not be part of the daily narrative due to the absence of 'evidence' you certainly contribute your fair share to denying your wish. If you don't wish to speak of God, don't.
    Again as I said… I would agree with you if I had the choice.

However as I also said in the thread to which you allude, I AM very interested in science, education, politics and so on, and “god” is brought TO ME each and every day in those areas of discourse, hence I do NOT have the choice to simply not speak about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nozzferrahhtoo View Post

However as I also said in the thread to which you allude, I AM very interested in science, education, politics and so on, and “god” is brought TO ME each and every day in those areas of discourse, hence I do NOT have the choice to simply not speak about it.
    Yeah the Scottish Herald must be smacking you in the face every day. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with having an agenda, as you clearly do, but pretending you don't just damages your points.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yeah the Scottish Herald must be smacking you in the face every day. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with having an agenda, as you clearly do, but pretending you don't just damages your points.
    I see. The error in your opinion lies in the fact that you made a wholesale assumption about where I came across this story myself.

You think it was the Herald I heard it in and then I came here reporting on it. You have the order of events exactly backwards. I have heard about it from other sources where in fact it did “smack me in the face” as you put it and then while seeking a link to make a post here, the one above was the first one I found to provide you with.

Assumption is the mother of most errors, but I am happy to clear up your error in this particular case. My “agendas” are not what you picture them to be and are in fact pretty much as I have espoused them.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, as you clearly do, but basing them on false assumption just damages your points.

I don't believe in Creationism. I simply don't listen to them. Its that easy. There used to be these concepts called freedom of expression, freedom of religion and freedom of speech.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah, you've only gone and made the baby jesus cry... forshame!
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nozzferrahhtoo View Post

You mean you had no choice in joining your atheist group? What else would an atheist group speak of?
    All great truths begin as blasphemies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    I don't believe in Creationism. I simply don't listen to them. Its that easy. There used to be these concepts called freedom of expression, freedom of religion and freedom of speech.
    If only it were so easy, but alas history proves this wrong.

In fact what we have seen in America for example is that simply not listening to them is not enough, as they then proceed unhindered to cause no end of damage.

I have seen what this “debate” has done in the US. It has been defeated time and time again in school after school and in high level court cases. It loses every time, yet it does not do so without leaving casualties in it’s wake. School boards have been bankrupted, jobs have been lost, reputations destroyed.

And in the last months I see the UK and Ireland going down the same route and I see little to assure me that the same results will not be achieved but at the same costs to both careers, finances and education of children.

Not to mention that it also damages the goals of the religious amongst us, not just the scientists, as people build straw men of the religious based on people like these. Thinking Adam was real and the world is 6000 years old becomes synonymous with being religious and the religious, who may actually have something worthy of listening to, spend half their time distancing themselves and defending themselves from such opinions that they themselves do not actually hold.

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast