Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Political leaders' pay in small advanced EU countries v Ireland

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Political leaders' pay in small advanced EU countries v Ireland

    Swedish ministers gets pay raise for Sweden

    Annual pay from July 1st for the Swedish prime minister is €147,000 rounded and for cabinet ministers €118,000. Sweden's population is about double Ireland's and its welfare state far more advanced,as are the other EU welfare states below.

    For EU comparisons,see http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/eiro/...ie0912029i.htm Scroll down to "Eurozone Comparators" heading of a section where the second paragraph says the Taoiseach's pay was significantly ahead of the leaders of Austria,Belgium and Finland and the Netherlands,"with the head of government in Finland on just 75% of the Taoiseach's adjusted salary [were the adjustments done by Irish civil servants with a bias towards underestimating this gap?]. Similar results were found for other government ministers,with Austria being slightly ahead on salary."

    "Government ministers in Belgium and Finland earned 88% and 83% of the Irish equivalent on an adjusted basis."

    Given that all the states mentioned have more successful social welfare systems than Ireland's to manage,the case could be made that Irish government ministers and the Taoiseach should be paid less. However,it would be a good start to the December budget speech if Minister Lenihan cut ministerial salaries to bring them in line with the small countries,having regard to relative differences in GNP per capita,not our inflated,misleading GDP figures. That suggests a cut of about 20% in pay,a cut which could then be applied to all high salaries across the public sector, though with reduced cuts for the bottom half of the salary scales.
    Last edited by patslatt; 12th October 2010 at 11:31 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    Swedish ministers gets pay raise for Sweden

    Annual pay from July 1st for the Swedish prime minister is €147,000 rounded and for cabinet ministers €118,000. Sweden's population is about double Ireland's and its welfare state far more advanced.
    +1

    And they have a progressive tax system. Colin Rapple shows how we could raise €18 billion more per year if we were taxed as in Sweden:

    Colm’s columns » 2010» October

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default PaySwedish taxes for Ireland's shoddy welfare state and dysfunctional health care?

    Quote Originally Posted by CarnivalOfAction View Post
    +1

    And they have a progressive tax system. Colin Rapple shows how we could raise €18 billion more per year if we were taxed as in Sweden:

    Colm’s columns » 2010» October
    No thanks. And it is disingenuous to use GDP because it is iinflated by multinational transactions in intercompany pricing to divert profits here for the low Irish tax rate,profits that would be diverted elsewhere if Irish corporate taxes were increased.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Thankfully we are nearing the endgame in terms of FF basketcase economics and the endemic corruption that goes along with it, which includes paying themselves inflated wages and their friends also in public bodies.

    If you tackle the FF corruption, you would solve most of Ireland's economic problems.

    We really cannot turn a corner until FF are banished from power permanently.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    it would be a good start to the December budget speech if Minister Lenihan cut ministerial salaries to bring them in line with the small countries, having regard to relative differences in GNP per capita, not our inflated, misleading GDP figures. That suggests a cut of about 20% in pay, a cut which could then be applied to all high salaries across the public sector, though with reduced cuts for the bottom half of the salary scales.
    Yeah right. Like that's going to happen.


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarnivalOfAction View Post
    +1

    And they have a progressive tax system. Colin Rapple shows how we could raise €18 billion more per year if we were taxed as in Sweden:

    Colm’s columns » 2010» October
    Would increased taxes see an improvement in our Public services? I doubt it. The public sevices in Sweden are second top none.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

    "Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Sweden has tonnes of indigenous industry and world renowned brands. Ireland has nothing. We cannot compare ourselves with a successful country like Sweden.
    The fact their leaders get paid less than ours is scandalous, but nothing will be donee because no one in Ireland really cares enough to protest.
    They also don't have a culture of living off the state and never working or travellers.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member slumdog1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    617
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gayguy2000 View Post
    The fact their leaders get paid less than ours is scandalous, but nothing will be donee because no one in Ireland really cares enough to protest.
    Why should the Irish protest for greater pay for Swedish politicans?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarnivalOfAction View Post
    +1

    And they have a progressive tax system. Colin Rapple shows how we could raise €18 billion more per year if we were taxed as in Sweden:

    Colm’s columns » 2010» October
    We have progressive taxation.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cork South Central - Cork SE LEA
    Posts
    2,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gayguy2000 View Post
    Sweden has tonnes of indigenous industry and world renowned brands. Ireland has nothing. We cannot compare ourselves with a successful country like Sweden.
    I wouldn't say we have none - Ryanair and Kerry Group are up there internationally.

    However, I believe Sweden has either the most multi-nationals per capita of any country or is 2nd to The Netherlands (I can't remember exactly), so yes, they are well ahead of us there.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •