Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicular Manslaughter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Vehicular Manslaughter?

Why do we not have this charge in Ireland?

Vehicular homicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There are states in th US where you can serve up to 20 years for this charge!
    When I googled the same in Ireland I get stories of fines and suspended sentences!

Is this another example of our lax attitiude to drink in this country.
    Its a poxy indictment on us that those who recklessly murder other drivers can walk free with little more than a tap on the back of the hand!
    The possibility of 20 years might teach us a lesson!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Penalties on conviction for dangerous driving causing death are the same as penalties for manslaughter

Driving offences-Information from CitizensInformation.ie
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

AYE...saw that...but the quoted news stories from the papers told a different story....suspended sentences.....3 year jail....5 years in jail.....fines....driving bans for sure...but I don't think its enough.

Wonder if we had a mandatory 20 year jail term for drink driving causing death...would this stop...!!

Have spent 25 years clearing up after these muppets....after today...I've had enough!!

Lock 'em up!
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With you all the way on that spidey
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    With you all the way on that spidey
    TA for that...!!

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    AYE...saw that...but the quoted news stories from the papers told a different story....suspended sentences.....3 year jail....5 years in jail.....fines....driving bans for sure...but I don't think its enough.

Wonder if we had a mandatory 20 year jail term for drink driving causing death...would this stop...!!

Have spent 25 years clearing up after these muppets....after today...I've had enough!!

Lock 'em up!
    + 1

Politics.ie Member RightCentreLeft's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There have been a few cases of negligence of drivers of such a gross nature that charges of (gross negligence) manslaughter have been succesfully prosecuted.

AG v Dunleavy (1948) is the key GNM case.
    AG v Dwyer another important case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RightCentreLeft View Post
    There have been a few cases of negligence of such a gross nature that charges of (gross negligence) manslaughter have been succesfully prosecuted.

AG v Dunleavy (1948) is the key case.
    Thanks for that...Do not know the case...but will investigate... Thanks!
    However I note...."few cases of negligence of such a gross nature"...most cases of death as a result of a drunk should surely be included in this cohort!

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Why do we not have this charge in Ireland?

Vehicular homicide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There are states in th US where you can serve up to 20 years for this charge!
    When I googled the same in Ireland I get stories of fines and suspended sentences!

Is this another example of our lax attitiude to drink in this country.
    Its a poxy indictment on us that those who recklessly murder other drivers can walk free with little more than a tap on the back of the hand!
    The possibility of 20 years might teach us a lesson!
    There's a strong case for charging those who kill through dangerous/illegal driving with manslaughter. I'd drop the vehicular bit as it makes it somehow less than say, someone who kills by irresponsible use of a firearm. It's in the back of my mind though that the Law Reform Commission has come out against such a change. Maybe some of the legal eagles here could tell us if that's the case and if so what the reasoning is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    There's a strong case for charging those who kill through dangerous/illegal driving with manslaughter. I'd drop the vehicular bit as it makes it somehow less than say, someone who kills by irresponsible use of a firearm. It's in the back of my mind though that the Law Reform Commission has come out against such a change. Maybe some of the legal eagles here could tell us if that's the case and if so what the reasoning is.
    I wonder what was their reasoning Baron?
    Agree with the point about your "weapon of choice" !

I wouldn't get off with manslaughter by sticking my meat cleaver into someone by pretending I was unaware of the consequences, so why should a lighter sentence apply when some-one drives while hammered????

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast