Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Minister took €9,000 government jet flight for vote against by-elections

Default Junior Minister took €9,000 government jet flight for vote against by-elections

The government jet was placed at the disposal of a government minister so he could vote in the Dáil against holding three by-elections and then take a late- night flight to Brussels.

The €9,000 flight for junior minister Dara Calleary was sanctioned by the Department of the Taoiseach for 29th Sept.

However, it has now emerged that Calleary took a separate flight to Brussels on Monday, 27 September on board the 'bigger' Gulfstream IV.

That journey, which lasted 190 minutes ended up costing the taxpayer close to €25,000 and also stopped off in Knock.

Calleary said it would not have been feasible for him to remain in Brussels for the entire week and that the combined €34,000 government jet bill was necessary.

Minister took

Not to worry a cut in SW or child benefit or something can make up the losses on the books!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The arrogance of power. On a smaller level, you see Minister's Mercs parked illegally because they are above the law. Who do these people think they are?

Now when a country is in dire straits 0 this is how you lead by example

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's not the arrogance of power. There's a number of flights available much cheaper regularly on Mondays to Brussels:

Cheap Flights from Dublin (Ireland) to Brussels in October - Skyscanner Ireland

Now the excuse is:
    He said commercial flights were not an option because of concerns over pairing arrangements in the Dáil. He said: "We could not [fly that way] because of the situation with the pairs. "You don't know what votes are going to be called and there could have been votes again on the Thursday," Calleary said.

"I don't pick the jet. I can't say I want one. It arose because of the situation regarding pairs and at one stage, I wasn't even sure if I was paired for Thursday. There could have been a vote on anything. If I had had a pair, we would have chosen a commercial flight."
    Isn't that perfectly reasonable? Isn't the solution that FG, Lab and FF come to an agreement hat in the event of any travel difficulties (i.e flight delays) that they will pair a with TD regardless of what the issue is?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Much as it is important to be reminded about these kind of things, the frequency of this kind of story just comes across as another bit of fuel to keep the national anger going. Mind you if there were any plans or work afoot in the present Govt. we wouldn't be reading this stuff anyway. Government actually costs money and Ministers have to be in lots of places, much as we might dislike to hear it. But it gives the Monday papers something to be upset about.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure its all Kennys fault insisting on pairings.look at all the jobs he cost us in Ameriaca. What good is having a jet parked outside the door if we cannot use it

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More importantly, just what is the point of Dara Calleary?!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Government actually costs money and Ministers have to be in lots of places, much as we might dislike to hear it.
    So have a lot of people, many of whom are more important to this country & who don't have access to private jets. Why's a junior minister so special that he couldn't have adjusted his schedule to be in Dublin by road?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    Why's a junior minister so special that he couldn't have adjusted his schedule to be in Dublin by road?
    Because he is in FF! Don't you realise FF has a divine right to rule and a right to treat the government jet as their own plaything!
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    So have a lot of people, many of whom are more important to this country & who don't have access to private jets. Why's a junior minister so special that he couldn't have adjusted his schedule to be in Dublin by road?
    Well first of all no one who works for a living drives from Brussels to Ireland. Second of all, you're missing the point. The point is that if you take a commercial flight for 70 euro, you might get delayed. If you get delayed in this case, the government might fall as there's no agreement on pairing anymore. So obviously the government pay for him to come back. FG would do the same in this situation, as would Labour. If the Minister was sitting on a company's board and his vote was vital, they'd pay the money too.

The solution is an agreement between all parties that in the event of travel delays there's an unconditional pairing situation in effect.

This is one of the many reasons that pairing is actually important to the running of an efficient democracy and shouldn't be mucked around with.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast