Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How will your folk's be voting? (Your Stateside cousins...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How will your folk's be voting? (Your Stateside cousins...)

Thought it'd be an interesting thread....

For instance, I've a cousin in Maryland who will almost certainly be voting for the Dems... I made the cardinal error of Discussing Politics With Your Relatives during a family visit in 2004 when I offered the observation that "Your Presidential Elections is shaping up to be Great Crack...." which caused my (normally mild mannered) cousin to spit fire about "BUSH...HAS...RUINED...MY...COUNTRY...". That was the end of that discussion for sure....

So I reckon he's voting for the Dems this time, but I'm too scared to ask.

On the opposite end of things, we had another cousin over from North Carolina two years ago (who has recently converted to Presbyterianism)... Dinner was going swimmingly until someone said "Isn't your new President just tickety-boo?" (mightn't have been tickety-boo exactly, but words to that effect)... a frosty silence ensued, until my cousin defrosted and said diplomatically "Well, he wouldn't have been my choice..."

So I reckon she's going with the GOP...

So how are your folks voting?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My uncle in Florida is an Obama fan so he may vote for Meek. He also seems to think Crist is OK. He sees him as a moderate. He definitely won't be voting Rubio anyway.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Carl Paladino in the governors race, Joe DioGuardi for Senate against Kirsten Gillibrand. I haven't decided yet for the other Senate race but it definitely won't be Chuck Schumer.

I have three aunts and an uncle in New York. The ladies are confirmed Democrats and my uncle will definitely vote Republican (if he votes: Last time I spoke to him he was rattling on about how it doesn't matter who he votes for because the Bilderberg group will still control everything...)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Years ago all the yanks related to me voted democrat.

Round Reagan time a few of them switched.

Now all of them who married other irish vote republican.

Its a white integration thing i reckon.

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have mates in Mass. were big Obama fans but seem disalusioned so I'd say might not vote at all!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan View Post
    I have mates in Mass. were big Obama fans but seem disalusioned so I'd say might not vote at all!
    Thats a shame. The dems are going to need all the votes they can get to fulfill the Obama mandate especially in the light of total obstructionism by the GOP.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I actually think the Dems may narrowly hold onto congress thanks to the antics of the Tea baggers.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post
    Thats a shame. The dems are going to need all the votes they can get to fulfill the Obama mandate especially in the light of total obstructionism by the GOP.
    This is a joke right? Obama has majorities in both houses of Congress, at least for now.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    This is a joke right? Obama has majorities in both houses of Congress, at least for now.
    I agree he should be tougher and quit the bipartisan nonsense and ram his agenda through anyway he can. For that he needs dems still in control and he needs to force the matter of the filibuster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast