Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Time for the President to earn her salary

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Time for the President to earn her salary

I'm not claiming that I understand the constitution, but I seem to recall that the President can bring down the government under certain circumstances - right or wrong?

If I'm right - then surely the framing of a 4 year budget by a government with 3 years already on the clock, a miniscule majority, deffered bye-elections and an approval rating in the low teens would enable her to throw the switch and give the people of Ireland what they want and I dare say need more than anything - a General Election to select a government with a mandate for the 4 year budget.

The alternative - a budget crafted by FF to ensure the next government struggles from the day they take office and in so doing increase FF's chance of returning to office sooner - is unacceptable. This scenario may seem like a Machivellian conspiracy, but we've seen FF move mountains recently to ensure the general public pay for their mistakes and to protect their paymasters, so I don't think anything is beyond them.

I suggest that it's time for the President to look deep in her heart - check who's been paying her 300k+ a year for the past 6 years, and then do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    I'm not claiming that I understand the constitution, but I seem to recall that the President can bring down the government under certain circumstances - right or wrong?
    Wrong

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think she can Government needs to lose Dail's confidence!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I'm right - then surely the framing of a 4 year budget by a government with 3 years already on the clock, a miniscule majority, deffered bye-elections and an approval rating in the low teens would enable her to throw the switch and give the people of Ireland what they want and I dare say need more than anything - a General Election to select a government with a mandate for the 4 year budget.

The alternative - a budget crafted by FF to ensure the next government struggles from the day they take office and in so doing increase FF's chance of returning to office sooner - is unacceptable. This scenario may seem like a Machivellian conspiracy, but we've seen FF move mountains recently to ensure the general public pay for their mistakes and to protect their paymasters, so I don't think anything is beyond them.

I suggest that it's time for the President to look deep in her heart - check who's been paying her 300k+ a year for the past 6 years, and then do the right thing.
    Nope, she can't. The only discretionary power the President has in relation to forming a govt is to refuse a dissolution to the incumbent Taoiseach, and thus allow the opposition to attempt to form a govt within the existing Dail. Thus, the Greens and a couple more indos would have to change sides, and Cowen would have to seek a dissolution and a general election, before St Mary of the Best Intentions gets to have a say.

Constitutionalities aside, I seriously doubt someone as 'establishment' as Mary McAleese would ever do anything to rock the boat. She is as dyed in the wool FF and RC as they come.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm not claiming that I understand the constitution
    I don't think anyone was going to be confused into thinking you did. The President can't force the dissolution of parliament for God's sake.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The president doesn't have any real power, she is just a figure head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I don't think anyone was going to be confused into thinking you did. The President can't force the dissolution of parliament for God's sake.
    Lol - I'd say you're great craic all the same. Get out much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Names the Skies View Post
    Wrong
    Pity - I guess the best we could hope for so would be for her to say that she believes it's the right thing to do and resign - can a President even resign?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Pity - I guess the best we could hope for so would be for her to say that she believes it's the right thing to do and resign - can a President even resign?
    No. She's imprisoned in the Aras for the 7 year term. She's only released for black tie galas and St Patrick's day.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, one tried once but we just locked him in the aras.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast