Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Fine Gael regret supporting the FF Bank Guarantee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Does Fine Gael regret supporting the FF Bank Guarantee?

Does Fine Gael regret supporting the FF Bank Guarantee in 2008?

If they do, what lessons have they learned?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Given the alleged panic at the time and the fact it was not the guarantee but the extent of its coverage we NOW know was the problem, what should they regret? They agreed with it in principle but as it has become apparent since then no-one knew the full extent of the canker, they were not wrong.

Personally I actually don't care and I am really tired of this collective myopic obsession with the past and our continued inability to look towards how we want our future to shape up.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They must regret it now as it was a bad decision, however they are around long enough to to believe anything that comes from FF. They have only one agenda ie. themselves first. Hope they never again agree with FF on anything even the time of day without checking it out properly first

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF regret it for Christ sake never mind FG and the Greens.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Given the alleged panic at the time and the fact it was not the guarantee but the extent of its coverage we NOW know was the problem, what should they regret? They agreed with it in principle but as it has become apparent since then no-one knew the full extent of the canker, they were not wrong.
    This is completely untrue, there were a range of voices screaming from the rooftops that the cost of the Guarantee would be a minimum of 40bn and possibly much higher. Peter Matthews for example. And screaming that the Guarantee was a massive spoof, a bluff, a conjob and potentially could lead to sovereign default.

FG went ahead and supported it anyway, and no amount of FF-style auld "ah we are were we are shure nobody could have known" toxic shyte can ever excuse that.

Now people can make mistakes and if FG were adult and fessed up that they'd been conned by Lendahand I might forgive them. But this responsibility-dodging infantile nonsense of claiming they had no other option and no alternative advice available is pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Personally I actually don't care and I am really tired of this collective myopic obsession with the past and our continued inability to look towards how we want our future to shape up.
    Four years since the housing bubble burst, and this "collective myopic obsession" of yours is still up its own hole and utterly failing to correctly diagnose what happened 1998-2006. If people refuse to actually admit the truth and what actually led us here in the first place; and the failings of our institutions, politics, economy, culture and society are never identified and addressed; then seriously how the f*** do you actually expect Ireland to shape a better future?

This "Ah lads shure what's done is done let's all move on" is yet more toxic shyte as it leaves all the failings of the past still in place, with just a collective agreement to pretend none of us can see them. And it'll explode in our faces, all this wilful denial and determined active elephant-ignoring. For decades we tried the same approach with the North, or paedo priests, or butcher doctors or sadist teachers and now we're going to do the same - again!! - with outright criminality in the political and financial world?

Ireland really needs to grow the f*** up, and very f***ing fast, cos all this head in the sand wilful denial will very shortly now result in your bastard partitioned nasty crass vicious excuse of a Statelet coming to an ignoble and disgraceful end.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Does Fine Gael regret supporting the FF Bank Guarantee in 2008?
    When the renewal came up recently, Noonan had a bit of a wobble on it. He tried to distance FG from the original guarantee on the basis that they didn't know what they were voting for while holding out the possibility that they would vote for the renewal.

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    If they do, what lessons have they learned?
    FG don't do learning.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    This is completely untrue, there were a range of voices screaming from the rooftops that the cost of the Guarantee would be a minimum of €40bn and possibly much higher. Peter Matthews for example. And screaming that the Guarantee was a massive spoof, a bluff, a conjob and potentially could lead to sovereign default.

FG went ahead and supported it anyway, and no amount of FF-style auld "ah we are were we are shure nobody could have known" toxic shyte can ever excuse that.

Now people can make mistakes and if FG were adult and fessed up that they'd been conned by Lendahand I might forgive them. But this responsibility-dodging infantile nonsense of claiming they had no other option and no alternative advice available is pathetic.

Four years since the housing bubble burst, and this "collective myopic obsession" of yours is still up its own hole and utterly failing to correctly diagnose what happened 1998-2006. If people refuse to actually admit the truth and what actually led us here in the first place; and the failings of our institutions, politics, economy, culture and society are never identified and addressed; then seriously how the f*** do you actually expect Ireland to shape a better future?

This "Ah lads shure what's done is done let's all move on" is yet more toxic shyte as it leaves all the failings of the past still in place, with just a collective agreement to pretend none of us can see them. And it'll explode in our faces, all this wilful denial and determined active elephant-ignoring. For decades we tried the same approach with the North, or paedo priests, or butcher doctors or sadist teachers and now we're going to do the same - again!! - with outright criminality in the political and financial world?

Ireland really needs to grow the f*** up, and very f***ing fast, cos all this head in the sand wilful denial will very shortly now result in your bastard partitioned nasty crass vicious excuse of a Statelet coming to an ignoble and disgraceful end.
    I agree 100%. I clearly remember eating my breakfast that morning listening to what they had done on radio 1, I was furious in a way I have never been before or since. I have no economic or financial training but I knew I had been robbed blind. It was a disgraceful decision at the time in the context of the time. It has only got worse since. FG were very wrong to support it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goban Saor View Post
    They didnt.
    Did you miss it?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say so, as in my opinion it's hurt them politically. A lot of people will surely no longer vote for FG, as their voting for this guarantee indicates FG are open to coalition with FF.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast