Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "The only party who will get rid of FF"?

Default "The only party who will get rid of FF"?

The biggest card played again and again by FG is that they are the "only" party we can trust to ensure FF are put out of office. But given they may end up 2nd next time out to LP, would they be able to pass up the office of Taoiseach, if they could dress up a FG/FF coalition as "in the national interest"?

I've asked this recently, and been told that it meant I didn't understand FG. Now it appears, I'm not the only one. Brian Hayes today is quoted in the Indo as saying that a "unity" govt - including FF "makes sense" if formed after the next GE.

Cross-party coalition 'makes sense' - National News, Breaking News - Independent.ie

"I think because the difficulties are so severe for the country at the moment... it may well make sense that a national government would be made up of the three principal parties in Dail Eireann after a general election and after the public have voted and given a mandate to the particular parties," he said
    So, where does this leave us? If a party spokesperson is saying this before the election, are we really to believe that they wouldn't take FF support after an election, particularly when it's their only way of getting the top job, and where Independent Newspapers are arguing for them to "bury civil war politics" in the "national interest" - following a change of leadership in FF of course.

Who was Alan Shatter cuddling when he read that this morning, one wonders.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    The biggest card played again and again by FG is that they are the "only" party we can trust to ensure FF are put out of office. But given they may end up 2nd next time out to LP, would they be able to pass up the office of Taoiseach, if they could dress up a FG/FF coalition as "in the national interest"?

I've asked this recently, and been told that it meant I didn't understand FG. Now it appears, I'm not the only one. Brian Hayes today is quoted in the Indo as saying that a "unity" govt - including FF "makes sense" if formed after the next GE.

So, where does this leave us? If a party spokesperson is saying this before the election, are we really to believe that they wouldn't take FF support after an election, particularly when it's their only way of getting the top job, and where Independent Newspapers are arguing for them to "bury civil war politics" in the "national interest" - following a change of leadership in FF of course.
    As Gilmore rightly said, this initiative is about keeping FF in office (along with the Greens) and spreading the subsequent blame for harsh decisions around politically. I'm so utterly cynical about politicians of all hues at this point that I don't believe they're capable of putting the interests of the citizens of this state before their own party and personal interests. They've all cashed in their chips where credibility is concerned and simply have none left. The expenses scam is still in full swing, as today's Independent' shows, the pathetic bickering continues and we have been saddled with un-repayable debts by a handful of shysters, aided and abetted by the ruling oligarchy of mafiosi in Government.

I only want Fianna Fail dumped from office. It's a small request. In some countries with more backbone firing squads would be lining up to dispense a more radical form of justice.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The idea of a National Government with Fianna Fail before any Elections is like The NHS asking Harold Shipman to be involved with the Direction of the medical service in the UK or the Irish Banks asking Sean Fitzpatrick to lead the change in the Irish Banking System.

Quote Originally Posted by Iarmhi Gael View Post
    The idea of a National Government with Fianna Fail before any Elections is like The NHS asking Harold Shipman to be involved with the Direction of the medical service in the UK or the Irish Banks asking Sean Fitzpatrick to lead the change in the Irish Banking System.

Do you think Hayes will suffer consequences for this?

Edit - just noticed the word "before" - what woulod your attitude be to forming a coalition with them after the election?
    Last edited by dotski_w_; 10th October 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Fianna Fail win the next election, they will be entitled to govern. At the moment
    the lack the moral authority to run a a sweet job, They have destroyed our country and shamed the office of Toiseach. Our new Boss Mr Rihn will have to OK our budget, Our economic sovereignty has been given away by this government,Anyone who thinks our corporation tax will not be changed is living in
    Fantasy Land.

Brian Hayes - another one of the proclaimed golden Fine Gael young talents that were previously in Enda's "young team" to boot out FF and give the people a contract for a better Ireland...
    He's some talent alright, a snivelling hack as far as I can see, and this again proves it, spineless.
    The IDA would be marketing Ireland as the innovation island -- "like Einstein explaining his theory of evolution." - Our number two in command, Mary Coughlan

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The government we deserve?

If the people of this country have not yet figured out that they need to vote Fianna Fail out of existence, and then make sure to put manners on the other parties, then they deserve to be swindled, and sold to the IMF.

The price for letting the bubble build, covering it up, and dumping the country into massive debt should be political oblivion, not re-election.

If politicians do not have that consequence hanging over their heads, why would they respect the electorate? Ruin the country, allow massive injustice, mass unemployment, and it will be okay so long as we keep the local parish pump followers happy?

Our next election and behaviour immediately after will be interesting. It will send a clear signal of just how deep the sheep mentality is embedded in the national psyche.
    Thank you Mr. Crotty.

Politics.ie Member DeGaulle 2.0's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After the next general election, the SIPTU slush fund people will walk out the door with their FF friends and walk back in with their Labour friends. The only real change is Fine Gael.
    Vive le Québec libre ! Ag beathú na dtochardán ón mbliain 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by DeGaulle 2.0 View Post
    A The only real change is Fine Gael.
    Not according to Deputy Hayes..... do you agree with him or not, btw...?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Poor little Alfalfa thinks FG will lose the next GE so he's running up the white flag in advance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast