Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: Are some cultures just out of place?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lahti, Finland
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Are some cultures just out of place?

    I have just read an article about Japan. They have a population of something like 125m. Out of that population, 2% are foreigners, most of them being Chinese or Korean. Very few Europeans live permanently in Japan which is a very wealthy country by any measurable standards.

    How does Japan compare to Europe? We here in Europe believe that we can somehow miraculously assimilate people from very alien cultures, people who are from countries whose culture not only contradicts with that of our own but even seeks conflict with that of our own.

    Are the Japanese being wiser than we are here in Europe? Difficult to say but the crux of the matter is that whenever there is a need for people fleeing their countries of birth, the preference should be given to countries which would be as close as possible to the countreis the people are fleeing from.

    The Japanese don't want Europeans to live in their country, not sure about how many Europeans would want to live in Japan either.

    I know that you can't send Somalis to Saudi-Arabia because Somalis are equally despised in Saudi-Arabia as they are in any European country they move in but my point is that some sort of cultural selectiveness should apply.

    Or is this too politically incorrect?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member collina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by THR View Post
    I have just read an article about Japan. They have a population of something like 125m. Out of that population, 2% are foreigners, most of them being Chinese or Korean. Very few Europeans live permanently in Japan which is a very wealthy country by any measurable standards.

    How does Japan compare to Europe? We here in Europe believe that we can somehow miraculously assimilate people from very alien cultures, people who are from countries whose culture not only contradicts with that of our own but even seeks conflict with that of our own.

    Are the Japanese being wiser than we are here in Europe? Difficult to say but the crux of the matter is that whenever there is a need for people fleeing their countries of birth, the preference should be given to countries which would be as close as possible to the countreis the people are fleeing from.

    The Japanese don't want Europeans to live in their country, not sure about how many Europeans would want to live in Japan either.

    I know that you can't send Somalis to Saudi-Arabia because Somalis are equally despised in Saudi-Arabia as they are in any European country they move in but my point is that some sort of cultural selectiveness should apply.

    Or is this too politically incorrect?
    What does Japaneese law say about emigration?
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Julius Caesar

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lahti, Finland
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by collina View Post
    What does Japaneese law say about emigration?
    Is there a point you're trying to make? No-one can move into a country which does not accept his/her entry to the country. I've never heard of any restrictions of free citizens to move anywhere they like as long as the receiving party accepts.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Breaking out of a high security stockade
    Posts
    2,222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by collina View Post
    What does Japaneese law say about emigration?
    I'm sure it is impossible to legislate for. Or is it immigration you are referring to?
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Twin Towers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The Japanese are being immeasurably wiser.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    I'm sure it is impossible to legislate for. Or is it immigration you are referring to?
    You're forgetting back in the USSR silly billy!

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This is an interesting point. I may be wrong but there aren't any western countries that (officially) assess would-be immigrants in terms of what one might call their "cultural distance'' from the potential host country. If a New Zealand engineer and an equally qualified Pakistani engineer apply for residence in Ireland, should we favour the Kiwi as he is more likely to assimilate quickly?

    By far the largest immigrant group in England is the Irish and yet they are in many ways the least noticeable and least troublesome. The small cultural distance between the countries made assimilation easy. We will never know if this would have been the same had Irish people been visibly racially distinct.

    If I were minister plenipotentiary for immigration, I would try secretly to make the numbers of people accepted inversely proportional to their degree of cultural compatibility. In many ways this would be unjust but the numbers could be adjusted over time as one saw how different groups fared. The great advantage is that it would avoid the risk of having significant communities in the country who do not like being here and who are, in turn, disliked by the mainstrean population.

    Of course it is very hard to see how anything along the lines of this scheme could be implemented in reality.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I was in Stephen's Green playground today with the kid. Sat down on a bench beside a veiled Muslim woman. The first thing she done was turn her back deliberately on me in case there might be any interaction. (I'm a bloke BTW) It was so noticeable it was ridiculous. I know many Muslims in the medical profession and none have this extreme attitude but there are a sizeable amount who seem to bring their nut job values with them. They're not going to integrate full stop.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Default Now View Post
    I was in Stephen's Green playground today with the kid. Sat down on a bench beside a veiled Muslim woman. The first thing she done was turn her back deliberately on me in case there might be any interaction. (I'm a bloke BTW) It was so noticeable it was ridiculous. I know many Muslims in the medical profession and none have this extreme attitude but there are a sizeable amount who seem to bring their nut job values with them. They're not going to integrate full stop.
    To feel ostracized in your own country, a sad story, but don't dwell on it. As you point out there are some good for all the bad.

    Maybe Ireland will have more luck with the next crop? Brought to you from Bosnia & Albania by the EU.
    BBC News - EU visa-free travel in sight for Albanians and Bosnians

  10. #10

    Default

    Having spent some time in Japan over the years plus know quite a number of people who have lived there for years on end I have to admit its one of the best places in the world to have visited.

    Everything is clean, when you see guys who pick up litter in the station with face masks and white gloves and there really is no litter then gives an idea of what its like. Even the guys picking up the dustbins are dressed like this.

    There are lots of Brazilians living in Japan who co exist quite happily plus there are huge numbers of Japanese who live in South America.

    On the people who have lived there a number have Japanese partners and have never had any trouble living there. The expats lived in a western style complex simply because it was what their companies wished for.

    Its culture is alien to westerners because it is so different but any culture where you see 4 year olds going off to school on their own and sitting on trains without ever it being an issue is to be welcomed. Asking a Japanese friend were school kids ever harassed or kidnapped she said it was so rare as to make it a national scandal.

    The police don't operate to the same restraints as western police so in the area she lived in a mugger basically ahd his head kicked in from street arrest to police station.

    There is a huge amount of conformity but then again when you have 35 Million people living in the Tokyo metropolitan area you need conformity with rules and standards to allow society to function.

    When you have stations with 2-3 million people per day going through them you need things to work and work they do.

    The Japanese do suffer from a need to have people's approval and people not liking them or their country is shame but I would happily revisit as really and truly its a beautiful place with incrediblely polite and helpful people.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •