Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: How Effective is Dail Security

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How Effective is Dail Security

It isn't just cement lorries that are problematic for Leinster House.

OAPs can be too and they don't have to organise a protest!!

On the Dáil’s first day back last Wednesday, a day which saw numerous protests and the presence of a certain cement lorry at the front gate, one inquisitive senior citizen managed to seize an opportunity to explore the inner workings of Leinster House.

Without setting out with the intention to do so, Sean Hayes, proprietor of Siopa Rís on St Mary’s Terrace, Hennessy’s Road, gained access to the country’s centre of power.

Sean had decided to treat himself to a day out in Dublin, taking the train up to the capital. “I rambled around Dublin and I said I’d go to the Dáil for a look,” said Sean. Strolling down to Kildare Street, Sean noticed the activity surrounding Leinster House.

“There were pickets outside and a lot of people around. I went in the gate where the cars go in and a guard stopped me and he said I wasn’t allowed in, so I went off in through the main entrance instead”, he said.

Security blunder

Despite the presence of numerous security staff, and without having made any appointment to visit, Sean still managed to gain access.

“There was an office there and they were all just standing around so I just walked through, straight in and up the steps.”

On his Dáil adventure, Sean saw numerous TDs and was standing in close proximity to many of them, walking straight past Beverley Cooper-Flynn. “She was standing right beside me,” he said.

Making the most of his adventure, Sean decided to further explore the inner workings of the powerful building. “I just looked around, then I saw a stairway and I said I’d go up there.”

The intrepid intruder was even assisted on his adventure, given specific directions for entering the gallery from a security official.

“I was stopped and asked what I was doing. I said I was looking for the gallery and he told me to go out a door and down the passage way and I’d find the entrance there.”

Incredibly, Sean was just metres away from entering the chamber gallery.

“I went down where he told me to go and there were school children all lined up with their teacher, so I went ahead of them. I was going up the steps to the chamber and the man there called me and asked who I was. I said ‘I’m from Waterford and I’m here to see what’s happening!’”

In an embarrassing security blunder, the official outside the chamber had to ring the main entrance to find out how inquisitive Sean managed to get through.

“He gave out to him and told him ‘he came through your gate.’”

Waterford senior citizen breaches Dáil security | Munster Express Online

They probably thought he was a TD just clocking in to claim expenses.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Often you see large groups entering the Dáil for tours and the like, especially now that colleges have started back. Anyone could quite easily mingle with these large tour groups as they wait for clearance at the main visitor entrance (clearance being that names of those entering be provided), and then proceed inside "in bulk" with the rest.

Highlighting it because it is something that really should be looked into considering the current political climate & the fact that we are talking about our national parliament. You could be wandering around Leinster House for an age alone and not be challenged by any Oireachtas employees.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
    Often you see large groups entering the Dáil for tours and the like, especially now that colleges have started back. Anyone could quite easily mingle with these large tour groups as they wait for clearance at the main visitor entrance (clearance being that names of those entering be provided), and then proceed inside "in bulk" with the rest.

Highlighting it because it is something that really should be looked into considering the current political climate & the fact that we are talking about our national parliament. You could be wandering around Leinster House for an age alone and not be challenged by any Oireachtas employees.

Yes. Why I posted it as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's fairly lax to be fair. I've often gone on through the Merrion Sq entrance even though you're supposed to go through Kildare St. Because it's unusual to approach that side the guys are far more lenient about it. Any aul minion can put your name down or authorise you over the phone. Also, there are no metal detectors, etc, which has always made me raise an eyebrow.
    "A govt big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do they have something to be afraid of?. Maybe they should put a couple of UZI toting guards at the gate to keep the peasants at bay.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A pair of overalls and a tool-bag is about all one needs to gain entrance.

I told the story before of coming into work one morning when Leinster House 2000 was still being worked on. My office on the 5th floor in B wing was fully occupied by this stage. Anyway, I opened my office door, walked in and found a body lying on the floor, in a sleeping bag. After the fright which woke me up I gave yer man a swift kick and ran out. I got a few other secretaries to come see the intruder, who was still asleep btw, and we decided to make him a strong coffee. He woke up, nearly died when he saw us all, explained in broken English how he was one of the Polish workers working on the site and had nowhere to sleep. My boss arrived just as we were preparing to bring him downstairs and across to the restaurant for breakfast. "You can't come in just yet boss, the workman is trying to install a new power socket. Best go and get some coffee, there's a good man.". As I was blocking his entrance, (the Polish guy was getting dressed), he had no choice but to go off, looking a bit perplexed. I got a bed and breakfast for the Polish lad sorted out for the time being, we paid for his breakfast and no one was any the wiser.

They do have the Special Branch around as well as the Ushers, the Gardaí and even some army lads, so I presume they know what or who to look out for. But when you look at the raw material they have to work with, the usual shower of TDs, it's a hard job.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry

security very easy going-very easy to breach either by a spoofer/chancer or just when its too busy -like when pensioner man got in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem is the location. It is on a street, with hundreds of people working there, and tens of thousands of visitors every year. To be secure, both Kildare Street and the part of Merrion Square closest to the Oireachtas would have to be blocked off with only controlled access and with multiple checks to get in and out. In effect a large scale controlled cordon would need to be in place.

Most parliaments have large cordons around them, but that is possible because many are not located on a street but in the centre of a park or if on a street far back from the street entrance.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im sure the army rangers in place would act quickly and decisively to any serious presenting threat..........