Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Eamon Gilmore make a good taoiseach?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Will Eamon Gilmore make a good taoiseach?

Just wondering if you think Gilmore would make a good taoiseach. At the moment he is mr popular and Labour are trendy with everyone if you believe the polls. I question his ability to make a good taoiseach. The Croke Park Agreement is an example of this. He didn't take a side so as not to annoy Labour's key voters. Also populism doesn't translate into a good taoiseach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe, maybe not. I reckon he will have a very tough time in government. Even tougher than FG. Left-wingers have no stamina and abandon their support the first difficult decision made. Just look at the US where liberals tought they has elected Noam Chomsky to the White House only to be shocked and horrified with the reality of government.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Right now he seems like the best option to me. He's a lefty loon, but if the recent polls were to be replicated on polling day, then he'd be heavily reliant on FG, so he's not going to be able to get through any ridiculous stuff.

He's competently managing his team, staying on message and seems to be able to speak without humiliating the country. So that places him above Kenny and Cowen. The next govt's going to be very centrist and their hands are going to be pretty much tied by the budget requirements of the EU. So competence is all we need.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    Just wondering if you think Gilmore would make a good taoiseach.
    The Labour party hasn’t decided their policy on that yet, so it's difficult to say.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    The Labour party hasnít decided their policy on that yet, so it's difficult to say.
    You mean that they haven't decided whether they want to be junior or senior partner in the next Labour/FF government?

Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Better than Enda or clowan anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He's doing well at his existing job. He won't have much leeway as Taoiseach but how bad would he have to be before we put Fianna Fail back?

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    You mean that they haven't decided whether they want to be junior or senior partner in the next Labour/FF government?

Regards...jmcc
    We could go on like this all day.
    Why don't we just list what policies they have decided on and save time all around.

My list.

Regards

T.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I honestly think that unless we, and by we I mean all parties, work together to get through this "emergency" we are royally screwed. No one man can sort out what has taken years of mismanagement (I'm being kind here) to create. No one knows just how deeply inbedded in "official Ireland" are the creations of the past administrations.

LeDroit, although slightly right of Attila the Hun even had me excited there for a while, at the hopes of a new political party arising from the ashes. We certainly need something special.

Eamonn Gilmore is a good man, an intelligent man, an honourable man. Can we afford such at this time though?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    We could go on like this all day.
    Why don't we just list what policies they have decided on and save time all around.

My list.
    And this is my list of their policies:
    1. Being in government.

That's it.

Regards...jmcc

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast