Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the Ruth Hickey judgment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What do you think of the Ruth Hickey judgment?

Partner of Twink's estranged husband loses privacy case - Courts, National News - Independent.ie
    -------------------------------------------------------
    What do people think of the judges decision in the above case and it's implications for press freedom in this country.And more importantly perhaps, for the freedom of Irish individuals to go about their daily life without being door stepped by the gutter press.
    Quite frankly I find the judgment appalling and sincerely hope it will be appealed.
    Apart from the fact that the parents of this child ,so cruelly termed a bastard, could be photographed and held up to ridicule coming out after registering the birth of the alleged bastard, is quite simply appalling.
    The judge said that the child was too young to suffer any adverse effect. Living in his ivory tower, as do most of his profession, he has probably never heard of face book or cyber bullying.
    The statement that the work of the gutter press was disgusting but understandable because these stories sold papers beggars belief.
    The judge said that because the alleged libel was so untrue that no right thinking person would believe it made it so much less actionable.
    The logic of this argument is that th more outrageous the lie the less culpable the liar. Unbelievable stuff.
    I know full well the the usual defenders of "Freedom of the Press" will be on here soon screaming blue murder.
    Well, these same "champions of justice" who have served us so poorly over the last 13 years can shove it.
    At it's heart what this is about is some grubby hack playing the peeping tom on private people to further their no- talent ambitions.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I really don't see what the issue is here. According to the RCC, any child born out of wedlock or within wedlock that did not occur under the rites of the RCC is a bastard so that makes billions of children bastards
    Build a bridge!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

First of all she sought publicity herself. Its not reasonable imo for her to then complain when she gets it. They took a picture of her on the street. There's no expectation of privacy there.

Second, the only one who referred to her child as a bastard was her. The paper didn't do it. AFAIK Twink didn't do it. Ms Hicky did it in open court.

Third, the "hoor" bit was a reported statement by Twink. The paper didn't come up with it themselves.

The voicemail had been released to the public. Should the media ignore all voicemails?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cry freedom View Post
    Partner of Twink's estranged husband loses privacy case - Courts, National News - Independent.ie
    -------------------------------------------------------
    What do people think of the judges decision in the above case and it's implications for press freedom in this country.And more importantly perhaps, for the freedom of Irish individuals to go about their daily life without being door stepped by the gutter press.
    Quite frankly I find the judgment appalling and sincerely hope it will be appealed.
    Apart from the fact that the parents of this child ,so cruelly termed a bastard, could be photographed and held up to ridicule coming out after registering the birth of the alleged bastard, is quite simply appalling.
    The judge said that the child was too young to suffer any adverse effect. Living in his ivory tower, as do most of his profession, he has probably never heard of face book or cyber bullying.
    The statement that the work of the gutter press was disgusting but understandable because these stories sold papers beggars belief.
    The judge said that because the alleged libel was so untrue that no right thinking person would believe it made it so much less actionable.
    The logic of this argument is that th more outrageous the lie the less culpable the liar. Unbelievable stuff.
    I know full well the the usual defenders of "Freedom of the Press" will be on here soon screaming blue murder.
    Well, these same "champions of justice" who have served us so poorly over the last 13 years can shove it.
    At it's heart what this is about is some grubby hack playing the peeping tom on private people to further their no- talent ambitions.
    I would be interested in reading the judgment (not the press reporting/opinion of it).

Can anyone provide a link to the judgment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
    I would be interested in reading the judgment (not the press reporting/opinion of it).

Can anyone provide a link to the judgment?
    You raise an interesting point.
    I was involved in a high court case some years ago and there didn't
    seem to be any way of recording the actual trial or even the reserved judgment, which came weeks later.
    No stenographer or no electronic recording system, as far as I am aware.
    When we wanted to review the judgment later we had to rely on the skimpy notes of our solicitor which proved less than satisfactory.
    Is it possible that out in their nice new buildings they have put in a recording system together with the plush en suite arrangements for the judges ablutions. This to allow the paying public to keep a citizens eye on the way the dice are rolling.
    Or would that be to much to ask these gentlemen for.?
    Will it be an Oliver Twist response. MORE? You want MORE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ruth is a really nice person. Feel sorry for her. Must have big legal bills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Twink is a really nice person. Feel sorry for her. Must have big mobile phone bills.
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Second, the only one who referred to her child as a bastard was her. The paper didn't do it. AFAIK Twink didn't do it. Ms Hicky did it in open court.

Third, the "hoor" bit was a reported statement by Twink. The paper didn't come up with it themselves.

The voicemail had been released to the public. Should the media ignore all voicemails?
    Incorrect, if the following is genuine.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINu35v3eMU]YouTube - Twink goes mad on the phone[/ame]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The actual really interesting thing is that the Court found, it seems, that, there IS a Constitutional Right to privacy in relation to media intrusion, even though this lady did not satisfy the requirements to successfully litigate such a case. It's an unenumerated right and previously, to my memory, has only been invoked in term of postal communications and phone tapping etc. It was a little unclear prior to this whether the right extended to the media photographing you in private etc.

PS, the case is not reported yet/not on the courts service website. Ill keep an eye and post it when it is.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Second, the only one who referred to her child as a bastard was her. The paper didn't do it. AFAIK Twink didn't do it.
    Oh yes she did. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINu35v3eMU"]Have a listen.[/ame]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast