Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mario Vargas Llosa's Latest Novel ... About Roger Casement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mario Vargas Llosa's Latest Novel ... About Roger Casement

The recently announced Nobel Laureate's latest novel El Sueño del Celta (The Dream of the Celt) is out next month. It is based on the life of Roger Casement, who once visited Vargas Llosa's native Péru to investigate conditions in the rubber industry.

Vargas Llosa is truly one of the greats. His 2000 novel La Fiesta del Chivo about the late Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo is simply superb. I really look forward to reading his latest offering.

In this interview Vargas Llosa talks to historian Angus Mitchell about his interest in Casement
    Last edited by picador; 9th October 2010 at 06:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For those of you who have Spanish here is a taster of Vargas Llosa latest work
    http://www.elpais.com/elpaismedia/ul..._2_Pes_PDF.pdf

Great to see a novelist of such stature take such an interest in the life of a great Irishman!

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    For those of you who have Spanish here is a taster of Vargas Llosa latest work
    http://www.elpais.com/elpaismedia/ul..._2_Pes_PDF.pdf

Great to see a novelist of such stature take such an interest in the life of a great Irishman!
    it is, and I mean to read at least one of his translations.

not sure how "Celtic" Roger Casement was though....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dotski_w_ View Post
    it is, and I mean to read at least one of his translations.

not sure how "Celtic" Roger Casement was though....
    Celtic enough for Vargas Llosa at any rate. The novel starts in Pentonville Prison with Casement awaiting word on an appeal for clemency. Expecting a vist from his solicitor, Gavan Duffy, Casement finds instead Duffy's digusted young assistant. The reason for the digust- the British have discovered a set of diaries, the contents of which arethe talk of London. This may prejudice Casement's appeal!

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    Celtic enough for Vargas Llosa at any rate. The novel starts in Pentonville Prison with Casement awaiting word on an appeal for clemency. Expecting a vist from his solicitor, Gavan Duffy, Casement finds instead Duffy's digusted young assistant. The reason for the digust- the British have discovered a set of diaries, the contents of which arethe talk of London. This may prejudice Casement's appeal!
    I could never get to grips with this story of Casement's diaries. (1) were they forged and (2) had Roger already been condemned to death before they miraculously came to light?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    I could never get to grips with this story of Casement's diaries. (1) were they forged and (2) had Roger already been condemned to death before they miraculously came to light?
    I believe the consensus is that the documents are genuine, though much of the content fantastical.

The documents surfaced after sentencing but amidst a strong, public call for leniency.

I shall read the novel if the reviews are good, but I hope he acts the diligent scholar. It irks me when foreign writers take a superficial view of Irish history, even if it is only the basis for a novel.

EDIT: Here's a short interview with the U-Boat captain (about half way down; use realplayer):http://www.rte.ie/laweb/ll/ll_t06_other_a.html
    Last edited by splashy; 10th October 2010 at 10:55 PM.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by splashy View Post
    I believe the consensus is that the documents are genuine, though much of the content fantastical.

The documents surfaced after sentencing but amidst a strong, public call for leniency.

I shall read the novel if the reviews are good, but I hope he acts the diligent scholar. It irks me when foreign writers take a superficial view of Irish history, even if it is only the basis for a novel.
    Thanks splashy. I think of Roger Casement nearly everyday because of that song, you know Banna Strand. Everytime I turn my telly on I get "No signal" and I'm off, singing, "no signal answers from the shore, Sir Roger sadly said."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by splashy View Post
    I know that I am not Irish so probably in my novel Irish people will find many things that they do not recognise, but I hope the novel overall will justify the inaccuracies.
    Worth reading the interview with Mitchell in full (see OP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Thanks splashy. I think of Roger Casement nearly everyday because of that song, you know Banna Strand. Everytime I turn my telly on I get "No signal" and I'm off, singing, "no signal answers from the shore, Sir Roger sadly said."
    Ah, Banna Strand - a classic of the genre!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7H5aB5tePo]YouTube - The Lonely Banna Strand - (The Ballad Of Roger Casement)[/ame]

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah Picador,

I'm sitting here bawling now. What a lovely looking man he was. Arghh! I'll treasure this tribute to Roger. Thank you so very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast