Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leader of FG on Dublin City Council says Kenny doesn't have support of the people

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Leader of FG on Dublin City Council says Kenny doesn't have support of the people

The leader of Fine Gael on Dublin City Council Dr Bill Tormey has posted an article to his website saying Enda Kenny should resign as leader of Fine Gael and be the party's candidate for President.

The article was originally written by Matt Cooper in today's Irish Examiner. Cllr Tormey's website has published the text into a post on his own site.

The op-ed by Matt Cooper says that Enda resigning as leader and running for President would solve problems for "him, his party and for this country".

The article goes on to say that there are many in FG who still wish Kenny to go but that if he goes and doesn't have another job, he may become an embarassment like Bertie Ahern has.

In a seperate blog post on his site, Tormey refers to the same piece by Cooper saying the refrain about Enda Kenny is gathering pace.

Matt Cooper’s musings in the Irish Examiner on the Enda Kenny issue are interesting. Enda has worked magnificently for years and does not deserve the shredding he got recently in the Sunday Independent. But as a putative Taoiseach, there is a public interest in Enda that transends the interests of Fine Gael. I hear it everywhere I go. It is the same refrain for years only gathering pace. Can Mark Mortell change the game? This is a very serious issue for Ireland.
    Cllr Tormey was a vocal supporter of Enda Kenny back in June during the heave, the publication of Cooper's article on his website has raised alarm amongst many senior Fine Gaelers tonight.

Politics.ie spoke with Cllr Tormey tonight who confirmed he'd posted the article to the site. In a long discussion, Cllr Tormey said that he personally supported Enda Kenny, but he believed that the people weren't behind him, saying that "the economy and the country have to transcend one man".

Cllr Tormey told Politics.ie that there were some elements of Fine Gael, including the backroom that were in denial of the likely outcome of the election. When asked what he thought that likely outcome was, Cllr Tormey told Politics.ie that he believed Fine Gael would lose seats if a General Election was held before Christmas.
    Last edited by David Cochrane; 9th October 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Politics.ie Member antiestablishmentarian's Avatar
    Popular People's Front of Judea (bolshevik-leninist)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The wheels are coming off at this stage. Goodbye Inda, nice knowing you
    http://www.politicalworld.org/
    'Our goal is to conquer state power for the Irish working class' Pat Rabitte, 1987

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I pity Kenny having to lead a party of self interested idiots. Fact is Kenny is the legitimately elected leader, whereas the others are not.

Kenny is not popular because he doesn't indulge in auction politics and he has refused to tell public sector workers what they want to hear, unlike Labour.

It's time Kenny started making examples of the idiots in FG who keep sniping at him.

Auction politics and catering to the demands of the public sector worker and unions is one of the reasons we are bankrupt today and will be into the future.

I guess the idiots in FG want a leader who is good at auction and stroke politics.

As for matters economic, that job is Michael Noonan's. When a manager of a train company employs someone to drive the train, the manager shouldn't then have to drive the train himself, now should he.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fine Gael need to sort this out, they are playing into the hands of FF and Labour, don't they ever learn, just change leader, and be done with it.
    Then you can put your full concentration in leading the next goverment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All that talk about Kenny having a different style of leadership is nonsense. Kenny's ability to communicate to the electorate is on par with Brian Cowen's. He's singularly unable to inspire confidence in the electorate as opinion poll after poll has shown. He hasn't been able to project his vision for the future to the electorate. He has failed to differentiate FG from FF. The best thing you can say for FG at the moment is that they're not FF.

Kenny needs to go.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sport02, at least 10% of Kennys vote loss can be attributed to PS workers who have gone over to a Labour party they perceive will go easy on them.

Remove that 10% element and Kenny would be in the mid 30% if not higher.

Do we want a FG leader who would say things like, if I'm in government I will restore pay cuts to PS workers and won't demand any more productivity?

Because that is exactly what Eamon Gilmore is holding out to PS workers, that Labour will row back on wage cuts to PS workers when he is in government.

I'd rather see FG come second in the election than start promising what Gilmore is promising, because if Gilmore does what he says in power, it will be a 1977 scenario all over again, and cuts in recent years, vital that they are, will be undone.

In short Gilmore could ruin the country if he rows back on PS pay cuts. Is that the kind of Taoiseach we need?

As soon as the moronic Irish electorate get sight of an election, all they want is auction politics and the politician who does auction politics best gets into power. It's been like that since at least 1977, and no-one did it better in recent years than FF.

Politics.ie Member Reality bites's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i find it hard to believe that senior FGers would be worried what Bill Tormey has to say!
    'I am not one of those who in expressing opinions confine themselves to facts' -Mark Twain

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reality bites View Post
    i find it hard to believe that senior FGers would be worried what Bill Tormey has to say!
    Holw many parties has Tormey been in, certainly Labour I think also. Maybe he feels if he stayed with them he would have a better chance of a seat. He failed to make it last time.
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Poor Enda, he should have been allowed a humane end in June but then the likes of Tormey only prolonged the agony by being a bit slow to kop on.

Now they want to string poor Enda along as a FG presidential candidate when James Joyce is set to win it by a mile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post
    I pity Kenny having to lead a party of self interested idiots. Fact is Kenny is the legitimately elected leader, whereas the others are not.

Kenny is not popular because he doesn't indulge in auction politics and he has refused to tell public sector workers what they want to hear, unlike Labour.

It's time Kenny started making examples of the idiots in FG who keep sniping at him.

Auction politics and catering to the demands of the public sector worker and unions is one of the reasons we are bankrupt today and will be into the future.

I guess the idiots in FG want a leader who is good at auction and stroke politics

So it's the public sectors fault that enda kenny is a charmless muppet. My god is their nothing we are not responsible for.

As for matters economic, that job is Michael Noonan's. When a manager of a train company employs someone to drive the train, the manager shouldn't then have to drive the train himself, now should he.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast