Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are the Banks allowed to have installment orders from the DOLE?

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why are the Banks allowed to have installment orders from the DOLE?

A good friend of mine has just been hit with a instalment order from the courts.

He had a loan and lost his job last year and found himself unable to repay the origional debt at the agreed repayments.

He made an offer and had this refused.

The bank took him to court, and have been awarded the amount he offered.

However the question I want to know is how can a judge allow any bank to get instalment orders when that person is claiming dole?

Surely the dole is just for survival, clearly its not paid so that you can repay your debts loans etc.

Shouldnt a judge been ordered by the state to only allow instalment payments once the person with the debt has returned to employment?

This is the question this government need to answer, is the dole supposed to help people survive or to assist in repaying loans to banks?

Because if they are going to cut welfare then they must realise they are also preventing people make repayments that have been ordered by a court.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it a hefty loan?
    Alexander Suvorov: "The bullet is a fool, the bayonet is a fine chap."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    A good friend of mine has just been hit with a instalment order from the courts.

He had a loan and lost his job last year and found himself unable to repay the origional debt at the agreed repayments.

He made an offer and had this refused.

The bank took him to court, and have been awarded the amount he offered.

However the question I want to know is how can a judge allow any bank to get instalment orders when that person is claiming dole?

Surely the dole is just for survival, clearly its not paid so that you can repay your debts loans etc.

Shouldnt a judge been ordered by the state to only allow instalment payments once the person with the debt has returned to employment?

This is the question this government need to answer, is the dole supposed to help people survive or to assist in repaying loans to banks?

Because if they are going to cut welfare then they must realise they are also preventing people make repayments that have been ordered by a court.
    Are you sure? I heard this wasn't the case.

Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will your friend have to actually make payment of these instalments, or will they be deducted at source out of the Dole?

And is this in the Six Counties or the Twenty Six?

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by absconded View Post
    Is it a hefty loan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Are you sure? I heard this wasn't the case.

The debt was for 10,000.

The court sent him a form to fill out on how much his income was and what his outgoings were.

The Bank wanted 200 per month but the court awarded the amount my friend origionally offered which was 50 per month.

He has to set up a direct debit for the monthly amount.

But clearly the judge knew he was in receipt of social welfare and he has no savings etc.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    Will your friend have to actually make payment of these instalments, or will they be deducted at source out of the Dole?

And is this in the Six Counties or the Twenty Six?

Nope he lives in the twenty six.

When did this happen? I know of a case of someone who has a personal loan and an unpaid overdraft (25,000) and whose only income is jobseekers and who negotiated a payment of 30 per month with the bank.

Had your friend made the bank aware of his changed circumstances? I am really surprised at them going to court for such a small sum and against an individual who was clearly not in a position to make anything more than nominal payments?

When was the case heard? I am really surprised that the media did not pick up on that one.

As a matter of interest which bank was it?

Politics.ie Member Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    Nope he lives in the twenty six.
    Shocking!

But was it a spin-off from a matter before a Family Court?

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    When did this happen? I know of a case of someone who has a personal loan and an unpaid overdraft (25,000) and whose only income is jobseekers and who negotiated a payment of 30 per month with the bank.

Had your friend made the bank aware of his changed circumstances? I am really surprised at them going to court for such a small sum and against an individual who was clearly not in a position to make anything more than nominal payments?

When was the case heard? I am really surprised that the media did not pick up on that one.

As a matter of interest which bank was it?
    The case was heard last year, it was mabs that told him to offer the 50.00 so he did but they refused to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    Shocking!

But was it a spin-off from a matter before a Family Court?
    He had his case heard in the afternoon if memory serves me right, just after family court.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I forgot this part.

This is the real joke, the court awarded interest at 8% per year! So his debt will never come down but in fact grow!

His payments of €50 per month totals to €600 per year but the interest is €800 per year meaning the debt grows at least €200 per year!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast