Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Liu Xiaobo wins nobel peace prize

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Liu Xiaobo wins nobel peace prize

XChina's most famous dissident has won the Nobel peace prize. Despite efforts by the thugs in Beijing to stop the award the Nobel committee has awarded it to him

Dissident wins Nobel prize - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 08, 2010

Norway was subjected to the usual threats from Chicoms but stood firm. I wonder what would happen if the Committee was in Ireland?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

About time.

Must have just edged out Bertie.
    Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through.
    - J. Swift

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly View Post
    about time.

Must have just edged out bertie.
    lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Swede travesty, known as the Nobel Prize, predictably find some dissident to stir the pot with China.

I think it is probably not a bad thing that yer man got it but I doubt that it will have much real impact. Most people in China have never heard of him, censorship and apathy on these matters win out, so all that will be achieved is annoying the gov't/party

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see this award as being about 'peace' anymore but rather promoting a particular Western perspective....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...l-chinese-fury

"Nobel committee chairman Thorbjørn Jagland said China should expect to be put under greater scrutiny as it becomes more powerful: "We have to speak when others cannot speak. As China is rising, we should have the right to criticise … we want to advance those forces that want China to become more democratic.""

But they too often have given the award to power without any scrutiny and Barak Obama received it despite his current warmongering, yet China (whom they make this award provocatively against) isn't at war with anyone and yet it is supposed to be a 'Peace Prize'.

I support the goal of lessening the power of the state in China and making it more accountable to the people however, but i don't think this is a peace issue as such - to my mind democracies seem to be the most warlike states on the planet. By contrast the likes of Burma, N Korea etc are mostly keeping their heads down.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Norway was subjected to the usual threats from Chicoms but stood firm. I wonder what would happen if the Committee was in Ireland?[/QUOTE]

We'd Probably have given it to Obama.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nobel "peace" prize, amazing, perhaps Nobel Oscar prize is the better description of that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I liked that Obama immediately came out for his release. Could he be any more populist if he tried? Like if Liu had come second, Barack wouldn't have said anything.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasia View Post
    The Swede travesty, known as the Nobel Prize, predictably find some dissident to stir the pot with China.
    jesus...
    The Nobel Peace Prize is from Norway,
    The Nobel Prizes for everything else, e.g. physics is from Sweden

Liu's prize 'against principles'
    BEIJING - CHINA said on Friday that the Norwegian Nobel committee has 'violated and blasphemed' the Peace Prize by awarding it to jailed dissident Liu Xiaobo and warned that ties with Oslo would suffer.

'The Nobel Peace Prize should be awarded to those who work to promote ethnic harmony, international friendship, disarmament and who hold peace meetings. These were (Alfred) Nobel's wishes,' foreign ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said.

'Liu Xiaobo was found guilty of violating Chinese law and sentenced to prison by Chinese judicial organs,' Mr Ma said in a statement on the ministry's website.

'His actions run contrary to the purpose of the Nobel Peace Prize. By awarding the prize to this person, the Nobel committee has violated and blasphemed the award'.

The spokesman added that the awarding of the prize to the 54-year-old co-author of Charter 08, a bold manifesto calling for political reform in communist-ruled China, would 'damage Sino-Norwegian relations'. -- AFP
    The Chinese Communist propaganda machine is very like Fianna Fail, even
    it clear to themselves all the world that they are corrupt and devoid of decency, they ignore reality, and pump tripe.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast