Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revenge Is Pointless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Revenge Is Pointless.

Politics.ie is polluted with immature rantings of "We Hate Fianna Fail", "Let's do Fianna Fail down" , "We need Fianna Fail Heads on Stakes" and a general sentiment that whatever Fianna Fail has done, is doing or intends to do is wrong. Attendant to this attitude is the notion that , at what ever cost , we must revenge ourselves on Fianna Fail.

Without commenting on the present or future , Fianna Fail has done some serious wrong!

Most of us are familiar with the Sicilian adage "Revenge is best served cold". In the spirit of that wisdom I might be expected to advise that we all await an opportunity to plunge our knives into the Fianna Fail party, but, there is another Sicilian adage:-

"When you go for revenge , dig two graves. "

This latter saying reflects the wisdom of experience.

There is a saying (I think, Chinese) which goes "The best Revenge is a good life" . This is the philosophy which we should espouse. We need to focus on success and fixing the problems. We need to look at our present situation and to focus on the future. We need to plan for a better future . We should learn lessons from our past but we must look to our future. We cannot influence our past , but we can make our future.

I am not suggesting that all of those who got us into this awful economic mess should be given a "free pass". A by-product of securing our future will be a reckoning with some (unfortunately not all ) of those who got us here.

We will be much better swimming out of this economic mess than being drowned in a frenzy of revenge!
    Just because you did something stupid yesterday does not mean you cannot do something smart today!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hope you have a lifejacket ,arm bands and a rubber ring.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bactrian View Post
    Politics.ie is polluted with immature rantings of "We Hate Fianna Fail", "Let's do Fianna Fail down" , "We need Fianna Fail Heads on Stakes" and a general sentiment that whatever Fianna Fail has done, is doing or intends to do is wrong. Attendant to this attitude is the notion that , at what ever cost , we must revenge ourselves on Fianna Fail.

Without commenting on the present or future , Fianna Fail has done some serious wrong!

Most of us are familiar with the Sicilian adage "Revenge is best served cold". In the spirit of that wisdom I might be expected to advise that we all await an opportunity to plunge our knives into the Fianna Fail party, but, there is another Sicilian adage:-

There is a saying (I think, Chinese) which goes "The best Revenge is a good life" . This is the philosophy which we should espouse. We need to focus on success and fixing the problems. We need to look at our present situation and to focus on the future. We need to plan for a better future . We should learn lessons from our past but we must look to our future. We cannot influence our past , but we can make our future.

I am not suggesting that all of those who got us into this awful economic mess should be given a "free pass". A by-product of securing our future will be a reckoning with some (unfortunately not all ) of those who got us here.

We will be much better swimming out of this economic mess than being drowned in a frenzy of revenge!
    You've quite clearly been watching too much Oprah Winfrey!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

but, there is another Sicilian adage:-

And those good old Sicilians knew what they were talking about - let's dig two graves: one for Fianna Fáil, who's slavish gombeenism betrayed the Irish people, and one for Fine Gael, who's slavish silence and complicity betrayed the Irish people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is a mistake in your logic - it is not out of vengance that we want Fianna Fail to fall, it is out of necessity.

They are a cancer on our society and a heart attack in our economy.
    Its time we had them removed from out vital organ of government.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm with you on the ranting. Every thread on almost any topic recently, and the first three responses will be one- or two-liners, adding nothing to the issue, and just throwing out the same old angry catchphrases. Which does get annoying.

There is however a saying (Latvian maybe, or Castlebar-ian. Potentially Finnish) "In most normal countries where things have been 1. so entirely dominated by a single party for the history of the state and 2. so monumentally shoved off the rails, that dominant party will suffer at the polls". It's not as catchy as yours.

It's not a question of revenge. FF may well be (and should be) destroyed at the next election. I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be, but that's beside the point. If they are, it will be because the electorate want different people making decisions. Secondly, anyone who acted illegally as part of the great corporate and political love-in off the last ten years should be prosecuted and sentenced to the full extent of the law.

That's not revenge, it's how normal countries work. Hopefully we manage to do the same.
    Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.
    John Stuart Mill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stand by for your condemnation as a traitor and FF quisling.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another Scillian proverb is this one and probably my most favorite - Cui nun voli pagari, s'assuggetta ad ogni pattu, which mean "Who doesn't intend to pay, signs any contract"

Looks to me as if FF are signing up to everything and will not be around in 2 years to pay for their damage. A fool listens to no-one but themselves. Many have called this fiasco over the decade and still our rulers do not listens or even accept some form of advice

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    And those good old Sicilians knew what they were talking about - let's dig two graves: one for Fianna Fáil, who's slavish gombeenism betrayed the Irish people, and one for Fine Gael, who's slavish silence and complicity betrayed the Irish people.
    May I suggest you move to china, you should feel at home there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cael View Post
    And why not blame the Peruvians while you're at it? I mean, let's face it, those bloody Peruvians are every bit as much to blame for the current state of our nation as Fine Gael are.

Boycott Peru!
    Founded in 2003, Politics.ie has one of the most engaged, respected and influential politics and current affairs communities.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast