Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why isn't there a real debate on corporation tax?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why isn't there a real debate on corporation tax?

Our coropration tax is meant to be one of the lowest in the EU. All I ever see in our "press" is a one paragraph bended knee approach to this ie it has to be kept low. I dont have strong opinions on this but just wondering why is there no real debate??

We are in a severe crisis-surely all taxes should be on the table, because if we dont raise coropration tax-you and I pay more. Now, if there are good valid reasons fair enough but beyond one line arguments of creating employment is that enough? During the boom most new employment was probably in construction-am I right? Are we simply a corporate whore with cheap rates? The failure of the press to debate this properly is a severe indictment of its do it by the numbers page filling.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because its a matter for the IMF/EU . Now quiet down .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there's already a thread on this...

We can debate the issue all you like but no government is going to voluntarily change it. That's just the way it is.
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riker1969 View Post
    Our coropration tax is meant to be one of the lowest in the EU. All I ever see in our "press" is a one paragraph bended knee approach to this ie it has to be kept low. I dont have strong opinions on this but just wondering why is there no real debate??

We are in a severe crisis-surely all taxes should be on the table, because if we dont raise coropration tax-you and I pay more. Now, if there are good valid reasons fair enough but beyond one line arguments of creating employment is that enough? During the boom most new employment was probably in construction-am I right? Are we simply a corporate whore with cheap rates? The failure of the press to debate this properly is a severe indictment of its do it by the numbers page filling.

Because the people that run the country have one tiny piece of sense left. If they touch the corporation tax rate - we won't even have bananas left to sell.

Microsoft, Intel, Google etc are here for the 12.5% corporate tax rate.
    if we touch it they will pack up and leave. This will probably see the jobless rate double and the gnp halve.

We will be post coitus extrumus in perpetuity.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    Because the people that run the country have one tiny piece of sense left. If they touch the corporation tax rate - we won't even have bananas left to sell.

Microsoft, Intel, Google etc are here for the 12.5% corporate tax rate.
    if we touch it they will pack up and leave. This will probably see the jobless rate double and the gnp halve.

We will be post coitus extrumus in perpetuity.
    A tad alarmist? Where is the other thread? Its' a bit simplistic to say they are just here for the low taxes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A tad alarmist? Where is the other thread? Its' a bit simplistic to say they are just here for the low taxes.
    no obviously all the other factors we have to offer are crucial

1. underdeveloped infrastructure
    2. high energy prices
    3. appalling government
    4. high wages
    5. the fact that we're an island off the coast of mainland Europe
    etc....

of course they're here for the low CT! Jaysus
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because if we increased it to 12.55% all the foreign companies would leave. Haven't you swallowed the pap our tax-exile owned media feed you?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't we have high wage costs compared to our European buddies? And energy, rent etc. The costs of coming here for foreign multinationals is probably quite high in those terms.

One of the big things that's often pointed to is our educated, English speaking workforce. But, there are shortages of graduates in certain areas, and many roles in 'European HQ' style offices will require European languages, which we're not great at churning out either. Other countries can provide this (or European first language, English second, which is the same thing)

So, in terms of our competitiveness, the Corpo Tax is a big draw. That's not to say it can't be increased, but it would need a serious look at how far it can go up before it, combined with the other costs of coming here, start to dissuade investment. The type of analysis that companies looking to invest here would make, in fact.

There are lots of other ways to close the gap by cutting spending, and taxing more people, and the existing tax base more harshly. The Corpo Tax should be looked at, but it would be last thing anyone would want to touch, I'd imagine.
    Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.
    John Stuart Mill

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Several threads here would suggest otherwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because as a country we have very little else to offer. We have high wages, high costs, low natural resources and are geographically disadvantaged.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast