Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Greens? - What could have been!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Greens? - What could have been!

Germany's Greens second most popular party
    Germany's Green Party has nosed ahead of the Social Democrats (SPD) in an opinion poll for the first time to become the country’s second most popular political party.

Some 30 years after emerging from Germany’s anti-nuclear, environmentalist and pacifist movements, the party has soared to 24 per cent support in the Forsa poll, published this morning in Stern magazine.
    Germany's Greens second most popular party - The Irish Times - Thu, Oct 07, 2010

The German Greens acquitted themselves quite well in government and had a good idea what they wanted to achieve. They've been slaughtered a couple of times in the polls, but have managed to maintain a continuous political and intellectual presence in Germany, nationally, regionally and locally. And with divisions on the left damaging the SPD, the Greens seem to be back with a bang.

But that the Irish Greens had looked down the line to an Ireland after the (predictable) crash and stayed at arms length from FF. They'd now be reaping their fair share of the vote that's flooding towards Labour. Instead they face political extinction (I don't think they'll survive as a political force in Ireland after their spell in government - Labour will steal too many of their clothes.)

Any views?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're finished because they're stupid and they're greedy.

When they are destroyed they will not be able to protect their "achievements" from the other parties agendas.

Expect the stag hunt to get their licence.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Greens have done well in government, both in terms of their own agenda and in terms of showing some real spine, which to be honest I would not have given them credit for prior to this spell in Government.

The people in the Green party may change after the next election but the Greens will not disappear as a political force, they will come again and good luck to them for the future in that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    in terms of showing some real spine
    Hey, tonic mate, don't you mean "in terms of showing some real SuPINE positions"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Totally disagree Tonic, I can only see wipeout for the Greens, which I believe is a same (as in the 'Green' agenda is a worthwhile one but totally betrayed by this party).

They gained most of their vote base by being seen as the honest party, removed from the usual double-speak etc. They had a clear vision, a clear agenda. They wanted to make the world a safer and cleaner place. Thus when Sargent said he would not lead the Greens into government, people quite righly believed that this meant the Greens would not go into government. Of course Greens will argue that HE kept his word, but the preception is that we we're conned.

I don't believe that anybody who cast a vote for the Greens last time did so thinking that that could potentially help keep FF in government.

Since then the Greens have tried to come across as doing the right thing, even it is not the easy thing, which is very worthy. However, even this falls flat when they vote confidence in Willie, O'Donohue etc. Seems they are more interested in staying in power than what is right, and without the perception of being sthically superior to the other parties they just bocome another party, hence FF Lite.

Without a USP, they will disappear as they become an irrelevance. Why bother voting for a Green TD in the next election, they won't get anywhere near government, they won't have many other TD's (if any) and many of the Green principles as now seen as nothing more than money raising stealth taxes.

Will the 'Green' Party survice, quite probably, as I believe that the underlining philiosphy is correct (save the planet et al) but none of the current memebers will play a role in the future.
    "I've said it before, and I'll say it again: democracy just doesn't work". - Kent Brockman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    The Greens have done well in government, both in terms of their own agenda and in terms of showing some real spine, which to be honest I would not have given them credit for prior to this spell in Government.

The people in the Green party may change after the next election but the Greens will not disappear as a political force, they will come again and good luck to them for the future in that.
    <what tonic really means>

The Greens have done well in Fianna fail, both in terms our agenda and in terms of abdicating any semblence of a spine, which to be honest I could not have hoped for prior to this spell in Government.

The people in the Green party will change after the next election and the Greens will probably disappear as a political force, they were a nice mudguard that made very little demands and they have their pensions now so good luck to them for the future with that.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It has to be said the German Greens have turned in to SPD lite to some extent, but that said, it's nice to see some Greens somewhere doing something right.
    I grieve for our Greens, though hopefully after the election they will be transformed back into something resembling the party I joined.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any party that says elections would cause instability, frightens me, Is it that they want to take away democracy away from the people, or is that when our full economic position becomes known, the people will revolt and tanks, if we have any, will be required to clear the streets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The 1 party that I had hopes for, who were going to end the cronyism & corruption that exist in Irish Politics. They have turned into everything that they appeared to be against
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leroy42 View Post
    Totally disagree Tonic, I can only see wipeout for the Greens, which I believe is a same (as in the 'Green' agenda is a worthwhile one but totally betrayed by this party).

They gained most of their vote base by being seen as the honest party, removed from the usual double-speak etc. They had a clear vision, a clear agenda. They wanted to make the world a safer and cleaner place. Thus when Sargent said he would not lead the Greens into government, people quite righly believed that this meant the Greens would not go into government. Of course Greens will argue that HE kept his word, but the preception is that we we're conned.

I don't believe that anybody who cast a vote for the Greens last time did so thinking that that could potentially help keep FF in government.

Since then the Greens have tried to come across as doing the right thing, even it is not the easy thing, which is very worthy. However, even this falls flat when they vote confidence in Willie, O'Donohue etc. Seems they are more interested in staying in power than what is right, and without the perception of being sthically superior to the other parties they just bocome another party, hence FF Lite.

Without a USP, they will disappear as they become an irrelevance. Why bother voting for a Green TD in the next election, they won't get anywhere near government, they won't have many other TD's (if any) and many of the Green principles as now seen as nothing more than money raising stealth taxes.

Will the 'Green' Party survice, quite probably, as I believe that the underlining philiosphy is correct (save the planet et al) but none of the current memebers will play a role in the future.
    You don't need a "green" party to vote for, you need what you thought you had, an anti FF party.

They have gone into Government at the toughest time possible and stuck it out, didn't panic at polls (something not all parties can say of themselves) and done what they thought was right.

They may suffer at the next election, they may not, it's always hard to say with smaller parties, but if they do badly at least they will know that when they got their chance they weren't found wanting and did the best they could in the circumstances both for their own agenda and for the country.

I for one salute them for it.
    Thank you ladies and gentlemen of the Green.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast