Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dempsey on Primetime talking about booking flights

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dempsey on Primetime talking about booking flights

Transport Minister, Noel Dempsey, appeared on tonight's Primetime, contributing to a report on the new Dublin Airport terminal.

During the programme, Dempsey explained that passengers don't look at the airport charges when they're booking their flights(this assumption is used to justify increasing airport charges to pay for Terminal 2).

He then went onto to simulate a booking transaction.

I found this completely astonishing. Noel Dempsey has never booked a flight since he became a minister in 1997. His officials either book the flights (and the State pays) or he uses the government jet.

Given the revelation about him taking a flight on the government jet to Derry Airport to attend an unimportant speech giving conference in Donegal in the summer, I find it just unbelievable that he would come out with such rubbish about people not noticing airport charges.

Anyone else see this nonsense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was later contradicted by the guy from Bloxham.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard him mumbling about passhengersh and tuned out
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The irony of him talking about booking flights given what happened during the summer with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much are Dublin airport charges to the passenger?

Airlines charge 'taxes and charges' on top of the 'ticket price', but everyone knows that 'taxes and charges' includes mostly charges by the airline itself.

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by breakingnews View Post
    I found this completely astonishing. Noel Dempsey has never booked a flight since he became a minister in 1997. His officials either book the flights (and the State pays) or he uses the government jet.
    Anyone else see this nonsense?
    Breakingnews obviously know the minister intimately since he can state categorically that he never booked a flight either for himself , his family,or any other living person in the entire 13 years since he became a minister.

How does breakingews know all this fascinating information I wonder.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He looked a bit subdued--must be worrying about how long more he will be around in politics--not long I hope. Must have no shame but obviously being in power for so long he possibly thinks he has a right to be there forever.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by breakingnews View Post
    Maybe he booked his own flight back from Malta in January when we all freezing our asses off!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    He looked a bit subdued--must be worrying about how long more he will be around in politics--not long I hope. Must have no shame but obviously being in power for so long he possibly thinks he has a right to be there forever.
    I'm sure the wife likes being driven to the shops by a Garda driver in the Merc.

Will be hard to lose that
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    Considering the difficulties the country currently faces any minister would look a bit subdued.

In fact if there is a change of govt that excludes FF then I guarantee you that within 2 years unemployment will have climbed to 600000+ and the IMF will be calling the shots.

At that stage there will be many very subdued FG & Lab ministers glad to relieve themselves of the burdens of office.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast