Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are Indo/Sindo Polls Valid?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are Indo/Sindo Polls Valid?

Note: this thread is opening in Current Affairs instead of Media, as the issues being raised impact directly on the current political landscape in general.

The Irish Independent and Sunday Independent have massive clout in terms of moulding, shifting and commenting on public opinion. In this context, the Independent group publishes on a regular basis the results of what it calls ‘opinion polls’. These polls are described as “Irish/Sunday Independent Quantum Research opinion polls”, and are treated editorially in the same way as those conducted on behalf of other newspapers by independent polling companies.

The Irish Times uses MRBI, a reputable market research organisation. The Sunday Business Post uses Red C, also a reputable company.

What I’d like to know is who or what is Quantum Research? Is Quantum Research a bona fide polling organisation or an entity within Independent Newspapers which uses unscientific and therefore unsound methods? Is there any science behind its collation of data?

Can anyone throw some light on Quantum Research?

This is important, as we've seen a slew of Quantum Research 'polls' recently which are vigorously presented by Indo/Sindo editors as the judgments of the people of this state across a range of very important matters.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Indo pollsters probably ring up Eoghan Harris, Celia Larkin, Jody Corcoran, Brendan (Ballsy) O Connor and a few others.
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    The Indo pollsters probably ring up Eoghan Harris, Celia Larkin, Jody Corcoran, Brendan (Ballsy) O Connor and a few others.
    Oh, sooooo cynical. With some justification, it must be said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    Even that is probably too scientific for them.
    If you want a laugh.........
    http://ancruiskeenlawnmower.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They have a rubbishy feel to them, that's for sure. What more can you expect from a comic?
    I agree that the newspaper has massive influence on the general population though. I think middle Ireland (if such a thing exists) likes to think they read a broad-sheet 'grown up' Sunday paper, when in truth it's a puffed up tabloid spewing only rumour, half-truth and innuendo. *Not really relevant to the discussion, I know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SinnShane View Post
    They have a rubbishy feel to them, that's for sure. What more can you expect from a comic?
    I agree that the newspaper has massive influence on the general population though. I think middle Ireland (if such a thing exists) likes to think they read a broad-sheet 'grown up' Sunday paper, when in truth it's a puffed up tabloid spewing only rumour, half-truth and innuendo. *Not really relevant to the discussion, I know!
    I hear they're going to have SF on -7% in their next 'poll'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SinnShane View Post
    I see where you're coming from, but I find it hard to get a 'feel' for a sequence of polls about which there's little known in terms of methodology, scientific basis and even about who has conducted the 'survey'.

IMO, "Middle Ireland" most certainly exists, and it is MASSIVE. We're an inherently conservative and conformist society, and that's being charitable. You don't have to scratch very hard to find someone who'll denigrate their neighbour if they don't buy into their lifestyle completely.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm still operating in a bit of an info-vacuum. Does anybody know anything about Quantum Research?

Any former Indo people knocking around who could shed some light on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love the way RTE etc. never ever report on their polls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onlyasking View Post
    I'm still operating in a bit of an info-vacuum. Does anybody know anything about Quantum Research?

Any former Indo people knocking around who could shed some light on this?
    Surely, if they were a reputable polling company they would have a website but a quick google search only brings up an address on Herbert St. And that's not even clear if it's the same organisation.

It is certainly one to pursue.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast