Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on the Common Travel Area

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Questions on the Common Travel Area

I am travelling to the UK as i often do. In all UK airports passengers from Ireland, IOM, Guernsey and Jersey bypass immigration with a boarding card and in Heathrow the random immigration checks are carried out by the London Met and not the UK Border agency. But in the opposite direction all passengers including domestic have to clear immigration.
    So what happens if i just hand my boarding card to the GNIB official and demand to be let through in accordance with the current immigration act. Has anyone tried this before as i think i will give it a try even though i need my passport to fly Ryanair.
    Why cant the clowns in Dublin Airport not segregate passengers who have arrived from the UK, IOM or Jersey and even the ones who have come from Cork!!! How difficult can it be???

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Under the terms of the cta checks are carried out at the departure port. All you need is valid photo ID. Ryanair are just being tits in demanding passports. Of course. We are incapable of having a channel for IOM & GB arrivals so have to show photo ID to the bored Garda in immigration here.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post
    Why cant the clowns in Dublin Airport not segregate passengers who have arrived from the UK, IOM or Jersey and even the ones who have come from Cork!!! How difficult can it be???
    Too much work for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually passengers on the Belfast Enterprise @ Connolly are segregated too walking past GNIB (ironic given James Connolly was living in Belfast in 1916) and when one flew from Farranfore or Cork to Dublin you used to have to pass thru GNIB (I guess it hasn't changed with the Santry pier) . Btw the cops @ LHR are recent and only there sometimes and reflect the dissident threat as they aint been there for 13 years) I presume they're also @ LGW STD (I know but more appropriate than the official. ICAO code given its operation, how many thousands of miles it iis from anywhere and its O'Ludicrous' biggest hub)
    and Luton. In all cases they will be Special Branch. In STD's case they are Essex cops, in LGW's case sussex cops, in LTN's case Hertfordshire cops. Herts cops have had an armoured car type land rover outside that overgrown 1960's motorway service station for a few years. When the provo's were active it was always the provincial British cops who harrassed Irish passengers as that and spying on SWP types must have been their only excitement. Given the Jihadist threats I wonder if they've changed their stance?

The GNIB are ensuring no illegal immigrants are hitting Irish shores, though they must be very badly screwed if they are claiming asylum after McCreevy murdered the economy with his economic illiterate co travellers in the PD's.

Politics.ie Member Mister_Jinks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am travelling to the UK as i often do. In all UK airports passengers from Ireland, IOM, Guernsey and Jersey bypass immigration with a boarding card and in Heathrow the random immigration checks are carried out by the London Met and not the UK Border agency. But in the opposite direction all passengers including domestic have to clear immigration.
    So what happens if i just hand my boarding card to the GNIB official and demand to be let through in accordance with the current immigration act. Has anyone tried this before as i think i will give it a try even though i need my passport to fly Ryanair.
    Technically, you'd be within your rights I suppose although carrying a passport isn't such a big deal for anyone these days. Most people have one. I would imagine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are mistaken if you believe that all passengers arriving in Ireland from the U.K. are entitled to be admitted.

You do not state your nationality, but if you are an Irish citizen you are certainly entitled to admission to Ireland, but would you kindly explain how an immigration official is supposed to know you are a citizen without seeing your passport?
    Last edited by Odyessus; 13th October 2010 at 08:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got a question asked in the Dail about this a few years ago.

The official line is that the law guarantees that all UK and Irish citizens are allowed to enter the country from the UK without a passport. However, the Gardai have the right to demand that you prove that you are an Irish or UK citizen, and the only proof they are required to accept is a passport. They may let you into the country without a passport if they wish.

I tested this myself once and got in without a passport after a bit of agro from the irate garda.

There are a whole host of mad rules and laws to do with Ireland's immigration 'system'. For example, any non-UK or Irish citizen who crosses the border with Northern Ireland must, by law, present themselves to first garda station they encounter. Of course no-one does this.

Also, all airlines and ferries are exempt from carrier liability for bringing illegal immigrants from the UK to Ireland, meaning the state pays to deport people. This is unique, as those same carriers have to pay to deport illegals brought to Ireland from other countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Immigration Officers have a huge degree of discretion, under legislation. Being mannerly is probably your best bet! The guys in Dublin Airport are quite nice really. An Australian friend forgot his passport and arrived from Britain with just his driving licence (not flying ryanair), and after a 5 minute chat was let through.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    I got a question asked in the Dail about this a few years ago.

The official line is that the law guarantees that all UK and Irish citizens are allowed to enter the country from the UK without a passport. However, the Gardai have the right to demand that you prove that you are an Irish or UK citizen, and the only proof they are required to accept is a passport. They may let you into the country without a passport if they wish.

I tested this myself once and got in without a passport after a bit of agro from the irate garda.

There are a whole host of mad rules and laws to do with Ireland's immigration 'system'. For example, any non-UK or Irish citizen who crosses the border with Northern Ireland must, by law, present themselves to first garda station they encounter. Of course no-one does this.

Also, all airlines and ferries are exempt from carrier liability for bringing illegal immigrants from the UK to Ireland, meaning the state pays to deport people. This is unique, as those same carriers have to pay to deport illegals brought to Ireland from other countries.
    I work for a ferry company and they are not exempt from liability for bringing in illegal immigrants. If the Gardaí can prove that those who entered illegally came off the companies vessels the company is liable for the cost to send them straight back. Ryanair are similarly liable as are Aerlingus which is why they both now require passports. Most f the refusals of entry into Ireland from airports are from people who do not require visas to enter Britain but do to enter Ireland (i.e citizens from India, Pakistan, Malaysia). The state does pay to deport those who entered via the border or from methods unknown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanmacc View Post
    I work for a ferry company and they are not exempt from liability for bringing in illegal immigrants. If the Gardaí can prove that those who entered illegally came off the companies vessels the company is liable for the cost to send them straight back. Ryanair are similarly liable as are Aerlingus which is why they both now require passports. Most f the refusals of entry into Ireland from airports are from people who do not require visas to enter Britain but do to enter Ireland (i.e citizens from India, Pakistan, Malaysia). The state does pay to deport those who entered via the border or from methods unknown.
    The immigration act specifically exempts carriers in the common travel area from liability. I think your company needs better lawyers.

Also, indians and pakistanis do need a visa for the UK, and Malaysian do not need a visa to come to Ireland.

You seem to be misinformed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast