Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public sector redundancies of nearly half a million euro per employee

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Public sector redundancies of nearly half a million euro per employee

A quote from today's Irish Times headline news story "Upgrading electricity network cost €150 million in overruns":

"The reports say ESBN [ESB Networks] has funded severance costs of €135 million from its own resources.As a result,staff numbers dropped 287..."

Unless I'm missing something,this is an average redundancy of €470,000,a vast sum given that it is for average employees,not top layers of management.

Will this set an extravagant, gold plated precedent for the HSE and other public sector redundancies? With Mary Harney and former HSE CEO Brendan Drumm admitting that thousands of HSE managers should be made redundant,will the cost also be around half a million or more? If so,the total redundancy cure in billions could be worse than the disease of overstaffing.

Maybe the government should look into contracting out their services instead to the private sector,just like Premiership football clubs loaning out players. Would the private sector be interested in their services?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    A quote from today's Irish Times headline news story "Upgrading electricity network cost €150 million in overruns":

"The reports say ESBN [ESB Networks] has funded severance costs of €135 million from its own resources.As a result,staff numbers dropped 287..."

Unless I'm missing something,this is an average redundancy of €470,000,a vast sum given that it is for average employees,not top layers of management.

Will this set an extravagant, gold plated precedent for the HSE and other public sector redundancies? With Mary Harney and former HSE CEO Brendan Drumm admitting that thousands of HSE managers should be made redundant,will the cost also be around half a million or more? If so,the total redundancy cure in billions could be worse than the disease of overstaffing.

Maybe the government should look into contracting out their services instead to the private sector,just like Premiership football clubs loaning out players. Would the private sector be interested in their services?
    It's no wonder we pay so much for electricity.I would work in the HSE if the work was contracted out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's hear how the unions defend this.

People will realise soon that partnership was the greatest scam perpetrated against the taxpayer, started by Haughey and brought to new heights under Bertie and his sidekick Cowen.

The cosy cartel between the government and unions has cost the country a fortune.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post

People will realise soon that partnership was the greatest scam perpetrated against the taxpayer, started by Haughey and brought to new heights under Bertie and his sidekick Cowen.

The cosy cartel between the government and unions has cost the country a fortune.
    I agree with you 90%

My disagreement is that you use the past tense "has"

Still going on with inflated salaries, allowances and expenses never mind the
    endless waste and inefficiency

In one thread today it was calculated that a teacher with a masters receives
    up to 220,000 over their career in bonuses for their qualification!!!
    The we have the Siptu/HSE slush fund for Paddy's days holidays and taxis
    home from the pub ( a snip at 2.5 mill)
    There was FAS , another junket and high payment bonanza
    The Health service , over staffed , over paid and crap
    Public representatives allowances
    Golden Handshakes
    Super Pensions and tax free lump sums
    On and on it goes .. reckion of the 3 billion they need at least 1 billion could come from the PS without anyone even noticing

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    I agree with you 90%

The we have the Siptu/HSE slush fund for Paddy's days holidays and taxis
    home from the pub ( a snip at 2.5 mill)
    There was FAS , another junket and high payment bonanza
    The Health service , over staffed , over paid and crap
    Public representatives allowances
    Golden Handshakes
    Super Pensions and tax free lump sums
    On and on it goes .. reckion of the 3 billion they need at least 1 billion could come from the PS without anyone even noticing
    agree 100% with that

the C&AG every year produces a litany of waste, do any heads roll?

doubt it

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anewbeginning View Post

I totally agree, but would a government with Labour in it really end the cosy cartel? Not that even FG is talking about getting tough with public service unions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Setting such precedents is indeed the entire point of all these extravagent redundancy and early retirement cases in recent years - Molloy, Hurley etc too.

It doesn't just ensure they keep their mouths shut, it makes it much more difficult for the next Govt to rip out all the jobs-for-the-boys, quangos, obsolete work units still all sitting around collecting a salary, and layers of pointless middle management spoofery that cost billions every year, without incurring a ruinous redundancy bill.

"If Roddy got his I want mine!" they all cry.

Well you've already got yours. To wit: you gladly took years of wages for doing precisely feck all. Now here's your month's notice, f*** off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Setting such precedents is indeed the entire point of all these extravagent redundancy and early retirement cases in recent years - Molloy, Hurley etc too.

It doesn't just ensure they keep their mouths shut, it makes it much more difficult for the next Govt to rip out all the jobs-for-the-boys, quangos, obsolete work units still all sitting around collecting a salary, and layers of pointless middle management spoofery that cost billions every year, without incurring a ruinous redundancy bill.
    What needs to be done is to scrap the current constitution/legal system and write a new constitution to circumvent all these legal loopholes and pitfalls that have governments hands tied and result in the taxpayer getting shafted every time. and get rid of the english common law crap of precedent.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    I agree with you 90%

the take home pay of my sister does not correspond with the basic salary payments that are on the tui websites which has been adjusted for last years budget.
    i asked her was she doing extra work and she said no.
    god knows what the unions and government are hiding from us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds incredible - literally unbelievable -any explanation as to how the figures were arrived at?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast