Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limerick "gangland" trial date set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Limerick "gangland" trial date set.

The trial of persons involved in "gangland" crime will go ahead next March before the Special Criminal Court. This trial will make use of the recently enacted legislation providing trial without jury at the direction of the DPP.

Trial date fixed for eight Limerick men charged with gang-related offences | BreakingNews.ie

Should be noted that the trials are to be simultaneous. Whether an application for seperate trials was made I know not, but it appears the prosecution are hoping for some form of "cut-throat" defence (though it's unlikely to happen) where at least one of the accused will blame the others which, invariably, leads to all of the accused being convicted.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

8 bullets would be a lot cheaper than a trial.

Just my opinion.
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCon View Post
    8 bullets would be a lot cheaper than a trial.

Just my opinion.
    Is that you Dermot Aherne ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBird View Post
    Is that you Dermot Aherne ?
    No.

But do we really need a trial to establish that Ger Dundon is a low-life scumbag?
    We have turned the corner.I commend this Budget to the House. Brian Lenihan, 9 December 2009

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    The trial of persons involved in "gangland" crime will go ahead next March before the Special Criminal Court. This trial will make use of the recently enacted legislation providing trial without jury at the direction of the DPP.

Trial date fixed for eight Limerick men charged with gang-related offences | BreakingNews.ie

Should be noted that the trials are to be simultaneous. Whether an application for seperate trials was made I know not, but it appears the prosecution are hoping for some form of "cut-throat" defence (though it's unlikely to happen) where at least one of the accused will blame the others which, invariably, leads to all of the accused being convicted.
    They don't have a case in a jury trial so lets cut out the middle man.

Sounds fair alright .

Talk about shifting the goalposts.
    Unionist revisionism Part 1
    SF got 19% of the votes cast in NI at the 1918 election.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peter123 View Post
    They don't have a case in a jury trial so lets cut out the middle man.

Sounds fair alright .

Talk about shifting the goalposts.
    Aye . The biggest problem with this kind of 'populist justice' is that the 'scumbags' may be seen as victims by their peers. Also isnt there a good chance of them appealing successfully in Europe ? Im not a legal eagle but surely they have a case?

Politics.ie Member evercloserunion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBird View Post
    Aye . The biggest problem with this kind of 'populist justice' is that the 'scumbags' may be seen as victims by their peers. Also isnt there a good chance of them appealing successfully in Europe ? Im not a legal eagle but surely they have a case?
    I'm not sure of any past cases on this point but there have been non-jury trials before haven't there? Here and in England. The Constitution makes specific provision for it. If there was a problem with it from a European perspective, we'd know it by now.

The EU definitely isn't going to get involved in our right to trial by jury, and as for the ECHR, they cannot strike down legislation.
    To live honestly, to hurt no one, to give every one his due.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evercloserunion View Post
    I'm not sure of any past cases on this point but there have been non-jury trials before haven't there? Here and in England. The Constitution makes specific provision for it. If there was a problem with it from a European perspective, we'd know it by now.

The EU definitely isn't going to get involved in our right to trial by jury, and as for the ECHR, they cannot strike down legislation.
    There is no problem with having trials by jury or trials by judge alone, in European terms. The only issue, and where they have a possible case, is the absolute discretion, without reason, of the DPP to direct one or the another.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Before i make the following statement, i want to make it clear that i do not think that these people are inocent, they are scumbags, and dont have any respect for anything, others, their country, and so on. I hope they do serious time for the crimes they have committed, and the lives they have ruined.

My only problem is that, It clearly states in the consitution of Eire, that every man is entitled to a jury of their peers in court.

Ok, fair enough, i know there was intimidation happening and this was wide spread, and seen many get off due to it. But i fear that if this goes ahead, and nothing is done about it, just wait for 10 15 years down the line, when you could quite possibly see any joe soap getting a trail with no jury. As time goes on then it will become the norm. I cant allow that to happen, for the sake of my unborn children.

Why cant the state provide a proper service to the jury and victims, instead of taking short cuts and denying the citizens their rights as clearly written in the consitution.

I have seen mad things happen in my locality, certain men getting arrested week in week out for assault, intimidation, theft, breach of the peace, and so on, and getting out of the cop shop next day with a few charges pending, even though they were on bail from the week before. Why wasnt the bail just revoked, and them locked up until their trail.

As for intimidation, if it is reported it should be made a priority for the garda to deal with it, and anyone that is involved should face serious charges and not just be let out to do the same thing again the next day.

The reason they dont do this, IMHO, is that its easier to erase the rights of the citizens and let on that they are doing it for the citizens own good. and of course you have the gulable citizens who believe most of what they are told who then just sit back and give the new idea the nod of approval, until that is, it comes back to bit them in the arse.

Its time to wake up, the government are slowly but surely erasing the rights of the people of Eire, and are not acting within the consitution of the land.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

can i add to that also, i wonder could FF be veiwed as a gang? they are a group of more than 4, and they have committed some serious white collar crime over the past decade......uhmmmmm maybe we migt see all the cronies getting a trail with no jury......i wont hold my breath though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast