Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Eugene Regan - FG's ideal (non-)solution

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member adamirer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Eugene Regan - FG's ideal (non-)solution

    I like Kenny, let me say that out front, so this sin't a Kenny bashing thread. But just wondering if Eugene Regan, rather than Barrett, had been elected in DL in 2007, I think he'd be the ideal replacement. He's the only FG'er who really stands out (and maybe that because he could be viewed as untested), with the intellect and gravitas to be seen a serious, serious leader.

    Only 110 votes behind Cuffe when eliminated... Its a shame personal circumstances prevent him from running in the next GE. Solicitor, business experience, European cabinet experience, clear understanding of finance (Director of Goldman Sachs), the guy has a CV far superior to anyone in the Dail.

    Is he the man who should... but can't?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Fact is he was not elected, and did you say director of Goldman Sachs ? Did'nt he spend over 47,000. 00 to get elected to DL Council in 2004,and Have the people the right to be wrong ?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member corelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamirer View Post
    I like Kenny, let me say that out front, so this sin't a Kenny bashing thread. But just wondering if Eugene Regan, rather than Barrett, had been elected in DL in 2007, I think he'd be the ideal replacement. He's the only FG'er who really stands out (and maybe that because he could be viewed as untested), with the intellect and gravitas to be seen a serious, serious leader.

    Only 110 votes behind Cuffe when eliminated... Its a shame personal circumstances prevent him from running in the next GE. Solicitor, business experience, European cabinet experience, clear understanding of finance (Director of Goldman Sachs), the guy has a CV far superior to anyone in the Dail.

    Is he the man who should... but can't?
    Not being smart, but he is actually a Barrister.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    10,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    Not being smart, but he is actually a Barrister.
    A SC in fact. They wear horse hair on their heads- supposedly to protect them from lice from peasants, and gowns with pockets in the back, where people can slip money (used be guineas) and his majesty did not see the filthy lucre going in. Anyway Regan is an able guy, but why would he waste his valuable time in politics ?
    You'd think Kenny committed Treason and brought in IMF. Cowen had all in stitches in Galway at 3.30a.m.but he was "not impaired" -DD Power. FF=Publican páirtí an IMF.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member enby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,980
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Far better than Barrett anyway

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamirer View Post
    I like Kenny, let me say that out front, so this sin't a Kenny bashing thread. But just wondering if Eugene Regan, rather than Barrett, had been elected in DL in 2007, I think he'd be the ideal replacement. He's the only FG'er who really stands out (and maybe that because he could be viewed as untested), with the intellect and gravitas to be seen a serious, serious leader.

    Only 110 votes behind Cuffe when eliminated... Its a shame personal circumstances prevent him from running in the next GE. Solicitor, business experience, European cabinet experience, clear understanding of finance (Director of Goldman Sachs), the guy has a CV far superior to anyone in the Dail.

    Is he the man who should... but can't?
    I love this quote:

    Goldman Sachs is “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.”

    The Great American Bubble Machine | Rolling Stone Politics
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Saith Cainty Dublin
    Posts
    33,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Regan will be lucky to be elected in dun laoghaire next time if he stands & especially if Barrett runs. The Baileys will be still out to get him and there will be a serious swing to the left in dlr with Labour providing (two)serious candidates [despite her protestations Bacik would go in Dun Laoghaire I'd say] PBP SF and others willl make up the rest . Although FFand the Greens are f**** it might be hard for FG to get two. I expect Hanafin to be returned.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    212
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If he has talent, and is an honest patriot, he wont be elected.

    We save that job for the PJ Sheehans and Frank Faheys of this world.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member adamirer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    Regan will be lucky to be elected in dun laoghaire next time if he stands & especially if Barrett runs. The Baileys will be still out to get him and there will be a serious swing to the left in dlr with Labour providing (two)serious candidates [despite her protestations Bacik would go in Dun Laoghaire I'd say] PBP SF and others willl make up the rest . Although FFand the Greens are f**** it might be hard for FG to get two. I expect Hanafin to be returned.
    He's not running, his wife is ill.

    I can't see a second seat for Labour here with it going to a four seater and Richard Boyd barrett running. Still, back to the point. so he's a non-exec director of Goldman Sachs... so what? if anything it means he should have a better insight than those current in power!

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member adamirer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Mor View Post
    Fact is he was not elected, and did you say director of Goldman Sachs ? Did'nt he spend over 47,000. 00 to get elected to DL Council in 2004,and Have the people the right to be wrong ?
    Course they have the right to be wrong. Hence 13 years of FF! That wasnt the q the OP posed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •