Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Mitchell circulating Iona Institute talking points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gay Mitchell circulating Iona Institute talking points

I got a mail today from Gay Mitchell with this document from the Iona institute attached

http://www.ionainstitute.ie/assets/f...ILDREN_web.pdf

I can't help but be perturbed that we, Fine Gael, appear to be signing up to the IONA institute's view of civil marriage which is that it's primarily a children only zone.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What was in the text of the mail from Gay - was it about anything related to the Iona document? Iona and Lucinda will be pleased.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The text was

"Dear Colleague,

You may be interested in the attached research about traditional marriage.

Regards,

Gay Mitchell"
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All previous missives have addressed me (and I presume others) as "Dear All", bar one that was addressed "Dear Member", I wonder if someone in his cabinet decided to slip this out?

I've no problem with Gay being more of a social conservative than me that's his viewpoint and he's been long of the view that FG is a Christian Democrat rather than Social Democrat party (something that I reckon is a red herring). Nor that he would be influenced by the thinking of the Iona Institute, but simply acting as a mailing on service for their documents strikes me as lazy, gives the appearance that they speak for him on this issue and passes the buck.

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Meh, so Gay Mitchell supports a particular point of view. He's a "christian democrat" afterall...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have Iona or anyone connected to them given him a big donation?

He's being such a chicken too - if he agrees with it, why not say so. If he disagrees with it, why not say so too.

Wonder how Justice Spokesperson Alan Shatter will react to this. Is it Fine Gael policy or not, and if not, why is Gay Mitchell circulating it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Catholic politician endorses conservative social value. Shock horror.

Certain honesty about it all. Far too many politicians pussy foot around on moral matters for fear of loosing leftie voters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got the same thing.

I know Gay Mitchell was speaking at an event last Saturday with David Quinn of the Iona Institute and during that Quinn gave out that document. Gay has always been very Christian and Socially Conservative and is open about that and I'd imagine that Gay thought it was interesting, largely agreed with it and decided to send it around to FG members.

Largely I wouldn't read that much into it.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ofen wondered about the Mitchell Brothers? Jim was a scream. The laughs we used to have. "Commie bitch", he'd mutter to me as he robbed my cigarettes. "Thieving Fascist bastard", I'd mutter back, then a bunch of flowers or a box of chocs would arrive on my desk. But Gay was/is so .... humourless, although I did admire his work ethic, although hating his politics.

Nearly forgot, when Jim gave up smoking he became the bugbear of my existance. "I know you are smoking in that office", he's ring and tell me, "put it out this instance, marxist groupie".

Why do all the good ones die young.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 7th October 2010 at 12:46 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gay Mitchell has said that Europe is a "cold house for Christians". I'm sure one has heard of all these anti-Christian pogroms lately.

P.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast