Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France warns citizens about UK travel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default France warns citizens about UK travel

(CNN) -- France has warned its citizens about travel to the United Kingdom, saying British authorities believe a terror attack is "highly likely."
    France warns citizens about UK travel - CNN.com

An increased threat from Islamic terrorists has sparked warnings from the French for Britain.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seems like every country is in a race with the others to warn their citizens against travel to just about every other country these days. I guess it's good for their domestic tourism businesses.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The warning was issued yesterday, 05/10/2010:

[France-Diplomatie-Ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes] ROYAUME-UNI

Dernière mise à jour : le 5 octobre 2010.
    Les autorités britanniques estiment que le niveau de menace terroriste est très élevé au Royaume-Uni et que le risque d’un attentat est fort probable. Il est recommandé de faire preuve d’une extrême vigilance dans les transports publics et les sites touristiques les plus fréquentés.

Last Updated: 5 October, 2010.
    British authorities believe that the terrorist threat level is very high in the United Kingdom and the risk of an attack is highly likely. It is advisable to exercise extreme vigilance in public transport and heavily frequented tourist sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is advisable to exercise extreme vigilance in public transport and heavily frequented tourist sites.
    I'm never entirely sure what governments mean when they urge their citizens to 'exercise extreme vigilance'? Scrutinise all your fellow passengers in case they've got a suicide bomb belt? Or is it just a beer belly? Scan the crowds in 'heavily frequented tourist sites' just in case one of them is toting a gun under his jacket?

To me, it's basically a way for governments to say 'Well, we're not going as far as to tell you not to go to such and such a city, but if anything does happen, you can't say we didn't warn you: we did urge you to 'exericise extreme vigilance' after all."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    I'm never entirely sure what governments mean when they urge their citizens to 'exercise extreme vigilance'? Scrutinise all your fellow passengers in case they've got a suicide bomb belt? Or is it just a beer belly? Scan the crowds in 'heavily frequented tourist sites' just in case one of them is toting a gun under his jacket?

To me, it's basically a way for governments to say 'Well, we're not going as far as to tell you not to go to such and such a city, but if anything does happen, you can't say we didn't warn you: we did urge you to 'exericise extreme vigilance' after all."
    You got in one Interista.
    I always thought that the easiest route to a ''terrorist spectacular'' was just to have some guys shooting up the morning rush hour train stations and the like.
    Only use a few people each time. And you could strike fear into a whole city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by damon View Post
    You got in one Interista.
    I always thought that the easiest route to a ''terrorist spectacular'' was just to have some guys shooting up the morning rush hour train stations and the like.
    Only use a few people each time. And you could strike fear into a whole city.
    I agree. You have to do everything short of strip naked (and probably that's next) to get anywhere near a plane these days, but there are precisely no security checks getting onto public transport which carries huge numbers of people. We have seen this to devastating effect in London and Madrid, yet nobody warned their citizens to be 'extremely vigilant' in the runup to those bombings. And would it have helped anyone if they had?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It wouldn't really. But what else can they do? If the govt hear an increase in chatter about an attack, should they not alert the public to that? And once it's public should foreign affairs depts not wanr their citizens about going there?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It wouldn't really. But what else can they do? If the govt hear an increase in chatter about an attack, should they not alert the public to that? And once it's public should foreign affairs depts not wanr their citizens about going there?
    It's a tough one. I do have some sympathy for governments in that they're 'dammed if they do, dammed if they don't' in such situations. However, if the alleged threat is not deemed serious enough for governments to actually warn their citizens against travelling to a certain city/country, is there really any point in telling them to 'exercise extreme vigilance' since it's hard to see precisely how an ordinary citizen's 'vigilance' can help them? Also, the more such vague warnings are issued, only for nothing to happen, the more it makes it likely that more specific warnings will be ignored because of what is perceived as the 'crying wolf' syndrome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    It's a tough one. I do have some sympathy for governments in that they're 'dammed if they do, dammed if they don't' in such situations. However, if the alleged threat is not deemed serious enough for governments to actually warn their citizens against travelling to a certain city/country, is there really any point in telling them to 'exercise extreme vigilance' since it's hard to see precisely how an ordinary citizen's 'vigilance' can help them? Also, the more such vague warnings are issued, only for nothing to happen, the more it makes it likely that more specific warnings will be ignored because of what is perceived as the 'crying wolf' syndrome.
    So they should say nothing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    So they should say nothing?
    Like I just said, it's a tough one. I certainly wouldn't want to have the responsibility of deciding whether to issue warnings or not in any given situation, and have sympathy with those who are taxed with making such decisions. But like I also said, I just don't see the point of these 'exercise extreme vigilance' warnings. I mean, just how 'vigilant' can or should an ordinary citizen be while on holiday, orgoing to work on the tube or whatever, and what good does being 'extremely vigilant' do anyway? Warnings of this type seem a bit of a fudge to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast