Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squatting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Squatting

There's corpo house down the road from me, with the windows and doors borded up with those steel plates. It's been like that for the past 3 years. A friend of mine is thinking about 'breaking in', taking down the boards and moving in. He said he'll put all his own money in to getting it fixed up and said he'd happily pay 100 euro a week to Dublin City Council. But I'm not sure what the consequences would be, but he reckons he has 'squatters rights' on his side.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
    (ps, its not me, before you ask)

Breaking and entering is a criminal offence and no such thing as Squatters rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Squatters rights of the kind you mention exist in the UK but not here, for them illegal occupation of an empty premises is a tort and the owner has to go through a torturous procedure to evict you.

Here we have much more landlord friendly property law (How the ************************ did that happen?)
    So many lamp posts, so little rope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But surely if he's willing to do the councils work for them, and save them a few bob, they'd let him stay considering he'll be willing to pay rent?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What sometimes happens with squats is that someone else breaks in, and leaves the property insecure. A window might be broken or left open, or a door might be forced.

Then some civic minded people come along and move in, repairing the damage caused by these unknown people. They haven't broken in, since the damage was done already and they walked in to the open building.

There is a bit about squatting here (the first few posts) squats | libcom.org

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Then he should contact the council and ask them.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cogol View Post
    But surely if he's willing to do the councils work for them, and save them a few bob, they'd let him stay considering he'll be willing to pay rent?
    Squats - brings back memories of the 80s.

p.s. Lá Breithe Sona duit Gerry Adams

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Free State has come down on anybody trying to establish a proper squat here like a ton of bricks...Even the semi-anarchist social center in Dublin rents which is surreal by mainland European standards.

In Holland, which I think has finally outlawed the time-honoured practice of squatting, there is something called the "anti-squat" movement, whereby someone moves into an empty property with the approval of the landlord, pays a minimal nominal rent, and enters into a copperfastened agreement to move out on demand. The occupant keeps the property secure, and gets a roof over their head. A win-win situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cogol View Post
    There's corpo house down the road from me, with the windows and doors borded up with those steel plates. It's been like that for the past 3 years. A friend of mine is thinking about 'breaking in', taking down the boards and moving in. He said he'll put all his own money in to getting it fixed up and said he'd happily pay 100 euro a week to Dublin City Council. But I'm not sure what the consequences would be, but he reckons he has 'squatters rights' on his side.
    Can anyone shed some light on this?
    (ps, its not me, before you ask)
    Tell him to fire away if he want's to be arrested. That property is still owned by someone, namely the local authority, so various criminal charges might ensue, including criminal damage, in removing hoarding, to get in, trespass etc etc.

Adverse possession (mistakenly called squatters rights) only arise after 12 years occupation and only then if he came to no-ones attention and/or it was undisputed occupation.

Just so he/she knows, if the Gardai are called they are perfectly entitled to enter the premises and pull him out by his lugs.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast