Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 87

Thread: John Gormley says scale of Ireland's deficit is fault of previous administrations

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default John Gormley says scale of Ireland's deficit is fault of previous administrations

    John Gormley sent a letter to all Green Party members yesterday which included the following quote:

    "The last week has been a particularly difficult one. The final figures for Anglo Irish Bank are simply horrendous. What is even worse though it has received less attention is the scale of our deficit. This problem is due to serious errors by previous administrations in managing our economy leading to an unsustainable tax structure and boom. We, the Green Party, are now in the unenviable position of having to help correct this."

    Surely the scale of the deficit is directly related to the measures taken since Autumn 2008, for which John and his GP colleagues bear significant responsibility?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Oppenheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    1,461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
    John Gormley sent a letter to all Green Party members yesterday which included the following quote:

    "The last week has been a particularly difficult one. The final figures for Anglo Irish Bank are simply horrendous. What is even worse though it has received less attention is the scale of our deficit. This problem is due to serious errors by previous administrations in managing our economy leading to an unsustainable tax structure and boom. We, the Green Party, are now in the unenviable position of having to help correct this."

    Surely the scale of the deficit is directly related to the measures taken since Autumn 2008, for which John and his GP colleagues bear significant responsibility?
    No, while I have little time for the "intelligence" of the vegetables I think his comment is correct. However broadstroking the responsibility using words like "administrations" allows him to conveniently hide the FACT that he is now complicit with that previous "administration" in continuing to mess up the future. If he really bought into this belief he would not have gone within a sh1tty stick's length of Brian Cowen.
    We are "they"

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by civilservant View Post

    Surely the scale of the deficit is directly related to the measures taken since Autumn 2008, for which John and his GP colleagues bear significant responsibility?
    That much would be obvious to any ordinary Joe. But Gormless is not ordinary. He's the type of clown that is happy to have a Taoiseach say his sacks of money came from the nags. He's happy to have Ministers receive obscene expenses. He's happy to partake in junkets and appoint green cronies to cushy jobs.
    The man is a fool. Along with FF he should be tried for treason.

  4. #4
    Ex Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Around the Corner everyone has turned
    Posts
    3,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Fianna Fail and the Greens standing togeather.

    I can see their election manifesto now,

    It wasnt us it was them, vote Green Fianna Fail.


    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_C5g6DRk4]YouTube - Fianna Fail - We all stand Togeather[/ame]

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Skrynesaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Meath
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Not really, the deficit stems from reliance on indirect taxes which are discretionary to an extent, eg. I can choose not to buy a house this year and so pay no stamp duty

    We reduced our nominal tax rates taking a huge portion of lower paid out of the tax net spent money like drunken sailor (why have one department of health when you can have two) and established insane tax avoidance schemes to encourage reckless building .. _insert_opposition_speech_here_ ...

    So in that regard he's correct, however if he were to take a look around the cabinet table he'd see that the idiots who destabilised our budgetary course are in power because he's afraid of the electorate.

    The annual costs imposed by the banks are actually lower then the issue of spending more than we take in as a state.
    So many lamp posts, so little rope.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member sic transit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Hats off to Gormley. He has become an absolute master at double speak and positive spin. Gotta say that bit made me chuckle. Right out of a political manifesto from 1982. Could have seen him writing for Radio Moscow during the Cold War.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skrynesaver View Post
    So in that regard he's correct, however if he were to take a look around the cabinet table he'd see that the idiots who destabilised our budgetary course are in power because he's afraid of the electorate.
    So the 2007 General Election is just a figment of our imagination?
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Hats off to Gormley. He has become an absolute master at double speak and positive spin. Gotta say that bit made me chuckle. Right out of a political manifesto from 1982. Could have seen him writing for Radio Moscow during the Cold War.
    Increasingly I view him more as a Lord Haw-Haw.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
    Surely the scale of the deficit is directly related to the measures taken since Autumn 2008, for which John and his GP colleagues bear significant responsibility?
    How the hell do you figure that?

    Public spending has decreased and tax increased since Sep 2008.

    Every second post on this forum is about the Green Party raising taxes, and now we have a thread blaming the Green Party for the deficit.

    Its comical.

    Do you even know what the deficit is, or why it exists?
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Waterford
    Posts
    1,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markeys View Post
    That much would be obvious to any ordinary Joe. But Gormless is not ordinary. He's the type of clown that is happy to have a Taoiseach say his sacks of money came from the nags. He's happy to have Ministers receive obscene expenses. He's happy to partake in junkets and appoint green cronies to cushy jobs.
    The man is a fool. Along with FF he should be tried for treason.
    No, not a clown, a dangerous, devious quisling who HAS to take blame for propping up an equally dangerous and devious party.

    Clowns keep children happy - not consign them to hard times and emigration.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •