Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Orange Order head brands dissidents the "Roman Catholic IRA", and more

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Orange Order head brands dissidents the "Roman Catholic IRA", and more

Some quite astonishing comments made by Saulters. Then again, if you're part of the Order, perhaps this sort of illogical paranoia is just par for the course.

Orange Order head Robert Saulters has claimed dissident republican groupings are just “fancy names” for the “Roman Catholic IRA”.

Mr Saulters also alleged that “dirty dealing” is leading to Northern Ireland Electricity being “taken over by the Southern Government's counterpart”.

And in a further attack, the Orange Grand Master stated that the initials of the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) should stand for the “Protestant Prosecution Service”.

Orange Order chief brands dissident terrorists as "Roman Catholic IRA" - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ideologically they have far more in common with Jacobinical romanticism than Catholicism. The republican terrorists have a long history of collaborating with the murderers of random Catholics in Spain, under the dubious rationale of several utopianist "causes". Not only during the Spanish Civil War, but by the ETA; RIRA even harbour some of these criminals on the island to this day. I suppose the so-called "Catholic" identity of many of these people has very little do to with the universal religion to begin with. It seems much more like a revanchist "non-Protestantism" than Catholicism.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder if newly installed UUP leader Tom Elliot would agree with his chief's comments?

Rumour has it that Saulters will now be appearing at this:

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Firstly, I don't see what this has to do with Irish politics Scipio.

Secondly, most Unionists know the OO is full of hot air, hence falling membership numbers. They lost the support of working class Loyalists when they shunned the support of paramilitaries at Drumcree.

Anyone who takes anything the OO say seriously is a bit of an eejit, especially if they think it's worthy of a thread here

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithnig View Post
    Firstly, I don't see what this has to do with Irish politics Scipio.
    I suspect you missed the sign on the way in, this is the Northern Ireland forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithnig View Post
    Anyone who takes anything the OO say seriously is a bit of an eejit, especially if they think it's worthy of a thread here
    Given that the Orange Order is still a powerful social and political force in Northern Ireland, I would think that the public comments of their chief member would be at least worthy of a discussion thread.

Then again, I'm just your everyday eejit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Is the OO a powerful Political Force ? Certainly it is socially important, but politically ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So.

Leader of 'socially important' Protestant organization prefixes name of terrorist group with the words 'Roman Catholic'

Now, where did I leave that popcorn?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Is the OO a powerful Political Force ? Certainly it is socially important, but politically ?
    It was powerful enough to be involved in brokering the Rodney Connor deal in Fermanagh. The OO is still a force to be reckoned with in Unionist politics, gradually fading perhaps, but her pernicious influence remains nonetheless.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    It was powerful enough to be involved in brokering the Rodney Connor deal in Fermanagh. The OO is still a force to be reckoned with in Unionist politics, gradually fading perhaps, but her pernicious influence is there nonetheless.
    Relatively minor I'd say Scipio - akin to the Knights and the Stoops.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antsrathcam View Post
    So.

Leader of 'socially important' Protestant organization prefixes name of terrorist group with the words 'Roman Catholic'
    He's likely correct - I'd guess there are not many Protestant members of the RIRA/CIRA etc

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast