Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorists face blitz of new tolls on main roads

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angry Motorists face blitz of new tolls on main roads

Motorists will have to pay a string of new motorway tolls under a plan drawn up for the Government, the Irish Independent can reveal.
    The new charges would bring hundreds of thousands of motorists into the tolling 'net' for the first time.
    They are part of a raft of measures being recommended to the Government by the National Roads Authority (NRA).
    Its pre-Budget report calls for tolls to be imposed on motorways in Galway, Wicklow and Kildare, while motorists in Dublin face the prospect of being forced to pay several tolls on the M50 for the first time.
    Full story here.

They can feck off!! We already have one of the highest levels of road tax and fuel tax in Europe! This will crucify hauliers and commuters!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member A view from England's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    Full story here.

They can feck off!! We already have one of the highest levels of road tax and fuel tax in Europe! This will crucify hauliers and commuters!
    Overall, Ireland is a low tax economy. In order to pay it's debts, the Government needs cash. This idea seems a fair way of raising cash to me. Perhaps you would prefer for child benefit to be scrapped, as we are facing in the UK? Ireland needs to raise taxes and cut costs. This would be one small measure that would help. An alternative could be just to put up fuel, that would then catch all the Westlink dodgers as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This state has proved incapable of managing the taxes it already collects. The last thing it should be given is further monies. Let it justify all current expenditure first.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonpartyboy View Post
    This state has proved incapable of managing the taxes it already collects. The last thing it should be given is further monies. Let it justify all current expenditure first.
    +10000

I also hear the argument when this is brought up... "THis will encourage peopleto use public transport more"... Which is a dreadful service... Expensive commuting fares, over crowded car parks at train stations, areas not linked by public transport etc etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They don't get it, do they?

How can you have a low cost economy, if all the costs are high?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I felt that tolls were a soft touch and would be increased rather than expanded. As the government can point to new motorways recently completed they can tax while pointing to improvement.

However, tolls are costly to run and generally inefficient as a method for revenue raising. The methods used would also not be labour intensive.

Watch out for the Gardaí to up their issuance of penalty points and fines, another easy revenue raising method.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suppose that explains all the unused gantries over the M50!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A view from England View Post
    Overall, Ireland is a low tax economy. In order to pay it's debts, the Government needs cash. This idea seems a fair way of raising cash to me. Perhaps you would prefer for child benefit to be scrapped, as we are facing in the UK? Ireland needs to raise taxes and cut costs. This would be one small measure that would help. An alternative could be just to put up fuel, that would then catch all the Westlink dodgers as well.
    I can tell you don't live here, and I'm not referring to your handle. Yes, the govt needs cash, but they gouge motorists so much already. If they get their own house in order, stop the dreadful waste in the public sector, use our money wisely and still need more, then come back to me.

As for your straw man of child benefit, that doesn't add up - it's not a one or the other scenario

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A view from England View Post
    Overall, Ireland is a low tax economy.
    Are we feck as like! You don't pay to see your GP do you? Your road tax rates are far lower than here. Your food prices and clothes prices are far lower and your business rates and rents are far lower too. We also kick in to the higher tax bands at a a lower level than the UK.

Low tax economy my hole!!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

We've paid for the poxy M50 1000 times over.

More flat taxes to hit the lower paid harder ...
    Redacted.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast