Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does the bank crash stem from the Civil War?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Does the bank crash stem from the Civil War?

Here's an interesting and I think novel thought advanced by a letter writer in the IT, Eugene Tannam from Firhouse:

The cost of the banking crisis coupled with the fiscal deficit clearly demonstrates the inability of the Irish politicians to govern, or at least regulate, systems that should be beneficial to the general population. I believe there is a historical reason for this failing.

Contrast two groups of countries – Canada, Australia and New Zealand on the one hand, and India, Pakistan, Ireland and the former British colonies in Africa, on the other.

The former group made its way to independence and prosperity without firing a shot, whereas the latter group has been riven with internecine fighting and civil disorder, stymying any chance of political maturity. Add to this the sense of entitlement felt by victorious parties and reasons for the lack of progress is obvious.

In Ireland, since the Civil War, two groups of people have felt intrinsically chosen and entitled to profit on the opposition’s loss of office. As a result the notion of a united Irish society is subconsciously anathema to both groups, leaving room for opportunists and gombeenmen, from within and outside their ranks, to abuse office.

If €50 billion is the price of true independence, ie, the end of the FF/FG hegemony, and gives rise to the emergence of a political system that includes “all” the people, then it may be worth it. Turning our backs on history might be the best revolution.

The Irish Times - Letters

FF and FG supporters won't like it, but is he wrong?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course he's wrong. The "hegemony" he refers to isn't some mythical thing that the people are shut out from, its actually the fact than in every election since the foundation of the State, more because have voted for either FF or FG than have voted for ANY other party. That is a democratic decision made by the Irish people. The fact that he doesn't like it doesn't give him the right to ignore the Irish people's democratic decision.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    The fact that he doesn't like it doesn't give him the right to ignore the Irish people's democratic decision.
    Yes, half the population vote for politicians on the basis of what they can bring for the local area. We elect gombeens and half-wits and they run the country into the ground, it's what we should expect.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    Here's an interesting and I think novel thought advanced by a letter writer in the IT, Eugene Tannam from Firhouse:

FF and FG supporters won't like it, but is he wrong?
    I'd say just nuts

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like K Myers is trying to write for the It again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

er NO is the straight answer.

The Banking Crises stems from the attempts of the Oligarchy in this State to create a level of wealth based on continued and increasing borrowing over the last 40 years or so

- & in particular over the last decade based upon an Economy that could not ultimately support it...

Hopefully this time the lesson will be learned and like Germany in 1923 the events yet to come will cast a long shadow down the decades

- and instil the Spirit of Financial Prudence in future generations of Irish voters and politicians...

Gimpanzee

And what did the civil war stem from?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't dismiss his argument too hastily. Political debate in this country has always been dreadful, mainly non-existent actually. There han't been any leadership in my lifetime at all...
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alonso View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss his argument too hastily. Political debate in this country has always been dreadful, mainly non-existent actually. There han't been any leadership in my lifetime at all...
    Diarmuid Ferriter fronted a very interesting series a few months ago that wasn't too far away from this opinion either.
    Especially the way the Irish left wing was practically smothered at the foundation of the state.
    Last edited by jpc; 5th October 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: phrase
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Politics.ie Member merle haggard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

foundation of the state , not the nation. It was a conservative counter revolution to usurp the Irish peoples sovereignty , what do you expect . The non republican left can consider themselves lucky they werent smothered in the manner Liam Mellowes was .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast