Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Will austerity budgets push the Irish economy into double dip depression?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Will austerity budgets push the Irish economy into double dip depression?

    For estimates of how fiscal consolidation through government spending cuts and tax increases have depressed economies in the past,see The Economist Economics focus: Cutting edge | The Economist

    Quote:

    "...a fiscal consolidation equivalent to 1% of GDP leads on average to a 0.5% decline in GDP after two years,and to an increase of 0.3% in the unemployment rate. Spending cuts do less damage than tax increases.This is mainly because they seem to be associated with bigger declines in interest rates."

    Presumably,many of these consolidations were done to rein in overheated economies,which is easier than applying austerity in an economic recession/depression as in Ireland's case.

    The comment above about declines in interest rates has particular relevance for Ireland:should the huge premium on Irish government bond interest rate be restored to near the former small premium over Germany's,that would undoubtedly assure a strong recovery,if not a revived Celtic Tiger.

    How much of a negative impact will the government's austerity programme have? With the structural deficit in the range of 8 to 10% of GDP (ie.the deficit that would remain even if the economy recovered fully),elimination of this deficit over four years would reduce the economy by 4 to 5 percentage points if the 1%/0.5% ratio in the above quote applied,but this drop of 4 to 5% is in isolation from the remaining economic trends. For example,if a drop in interest rates and increases in exports and consumer spending boosted economic growth by 2.5% a year,that would allow for economic growth of about 10% over four years less the austerity impact of 4 to 5%,for a net growth of 5 to 6% or about 1 to 1.5% a year.

    This slow growth would make it difficult to eliminate the non-structural part of the government deficit associated with a weak economy. Another negative is that the weak economy could easily be tipped into a double dip depression if the December budget relies heavily on taxes to cut the deficit,especially taxes on low income groups whose tendency to spend most or all of their incomes supports aggregate demand in the economy in the Keynesian economic model.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    For estimates of how fiscal consolidation through government spending cuts and tax increases have depressed economies in the past,see The Economist Economics focus: Cutting edge | The Economist

    Quote:

    "...a fiscal consolidation equivalent to 1% of GDP leads on average to a 0.5% decline in GDP after two years,and to an increase of 0.3% in the unemployment rate. Spending cuts do less damage than tax increases.This is mainly because they seem to be associated with bigger declines in interest rates."

    Presumably,many of these consolidations were done to rein in overheated economies,which is easier than applying austerity in an economic recession/depression as in Ireland's case.

    The comment above about declines in interest rates has particular relevance for Ireland:should the huge premium on Irish government bond interest rate be restored to near the former small premium over Germany's,that would undoubtedly assure a strong recovery,if not a revived Celtic Tiger.

    How much of a negative impact will the government's austerity programme have? With the structural deficit in the range of 8 to 10% of GDP (ie.the deficit that would remain even if the economy recovered fully),elimination of this deficit over four years would reduce the economy by 4 to 5 percentage points if the 1%/0.5% ratio in the above quote applied,but this drop of 4 to 5% is in isolation from the remaining economic trends. For example,if a drop in interest rates and increases in exports and consumer spending boosted economic growth by 2.5% a year,that would allow for economic growth of about 10% over four years less the austerity impact of 4 to 5%,for a net growth of 5 to 6% or about 1 to 1.5% a year.

    This slow growth would make it difficult to eliminate the non-structural part of the government deficit associated with a weak economy. Another negative is that the weak economy could easily be tipped into a double dip depression if the December budget relies heavily on taxes to cut the deficit,especially taxes on low income groups whose tendency to spend most or all of their incomes supports aggregate demand in the economy in the Keynesian economic model.
    Yep, but, thanks to the FF bailout to their cronies, we don't even get a W-shaped depression; more like a L-shape with a droopy member.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Double dip?

    When did we come up for air?

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member gijoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,302
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    When did we come out of the first depression?

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default In the first quarter but dipped again since

    Quote Originally Posted by Expatriot View Post
    Double dip?

    When did we come up for air?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    More to the point, when was the actual point the double dip recession started.

    This month or last ?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member revolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    moyvalley
    Posts
    1,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    my understanding of a recession is 2 quarters of negative growth.
    on the flip side of that we only had 1 quarter of growth in q1 2010,so did we really come out of recession?
    just cause fianna fail said we are out of recession dosn't make it so..

    i really hope it dosn't get worse because we are already on our knees,wouldn't take too much to push us well and truly over the edge.

    if they get it right (sigh) in the budget maybe we have a chance next year,but there i go again being optimistic,then i remember who is in government.


    maybe after a general election,a fresh start,clean slate and all that,we might finally have a fresh chance for optimism even though we know what lies ahead,one thing anyway we'd have to stop giving out about fianna fail and get behind the new lot.
    just think-no more ff,no more green party,jaysus we'd be flying.
    hopefully they deliver the budget and f**k off into the wilderness

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default A Labour/ Fine Gael coalition would be ineffective

    Quote Originally Posted by revolution View Post
    my understanding of a recession is 2 quarters of negative growth.
    on the flip side of that we only had 1 quarter of growth in q1 2010,so did we really come out of recession?
    just cause fianna fail said we are out of recession dosn't make it so..

    i really hope it dosn't get worse because we are already on our knees,wouldn't take too much to push us well and truly over the edge.

    if they get it right (sigh) in the budget maybe we have a chance next year,but there i go again being optimistic,then i remember who is in government.


    maybe after a general election,a fresh start,clean slate and all that,we might finally have a fresh chance for optimism even though we know what lies ahead,one thing anyway we'd have to stop giving out about fianna fail and get behind the new lot.
    just think-no more ff,no more green party,jaysus we'd be flying.
    hopefully they deliver the budget and f**k off into the wilderness
    Labour could strongly increase its share of the vote as an angry public is likely to register a protest vote against the government. That would be problematic for the four year austerity programme because Labour would insist on achieving budgetary balance largely through tax increases instead of spending cuts as in the 1980s coalition, in order to appeal to its core public sector vote. That would lead to economic stagnation as in the 1980s.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    Labour could strongly increase its share of the vote as an angry public is likely to register a protest vote against the government. That would be problematic for the four year austerity programme because Labour would insist on achieving budgetary balance largely through tax increases instead of spending cuts as in the 1980s coalition, in order to appeal to its core public sector vote. That would lead to economic stagnation as in the 1980s.
    I am not so sure that is true, I just think that the cuts might be in different places under Labour. Further increases in marginal tax rates will not bring in more money no matter who does it. I think reliefs and taxes on wealth are a more likely path. Either way we are into deflationary times, we need to pray that inflation and interest rates in the EU are our friend while we do this. Alot now simply depends on luck rather than anything else.

    I think slashing of current spending is a given no matter who is in power. Capital spending will hardly exists at all.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    13,693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expatriot View Post
    I am not so sure that is true, I just think that the cuts might be in different places under Labour. Further increases in marginal tax rates will not bring in more money no matter who does it. I think reliefs and taxes on wealth are a more likely path. Either way we are into deflationary times, we need to pray that inflation and interest rates in the EU are our friend while we do this. Alot now simply depends on luck rather than anything else.

    I think slashing of current spending is a given no matter who is in power. Capital spending will hardly exists at all.
    Current spending will be cut sharply but only after years of delay while Labour in coalition try to squeeze more tax from the dwindling numbers of rich. The last gasp of taxation would be a wealth tax,which invites tax avoidance and evasion in useless investments in concealable wealth such as art and collectibles,gold,precious metals,diamonds etc. Coming on top of capital gains tax and marginal income tax of 50% plus,a wealth tax is punitive and very inefficient to collect. But it would thrill the envious.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •