Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moss Keane the passing of a legend

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Moss Keane the passing of a legend

Just heard the very sad news on RTE TV news that former Irish second row Moss Keane has died.

I would like to pass on my heartfelt sympathies to his family.

The passing of a true legend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolute legend. My first memories of Rugby are Moss, Slattery, Duggan et al. Magnificent men.

Of Course Keane was a member of the famous Munster team, beating New Zealand in 1978.

RIP
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not a huge rugby fan but I remember him crossing the try line with two English lads hanging off him, a legend indeed.

Seemed like a decent man with it.
    So many lamp posts, so little rope.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder if Munster & Leinster will have 2 minutes silence before their games this weekend? I hope so.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RIP Moss.
    A real rugby Hero.
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skrynesaver View Post
    I'm not a huge rugby fan but I remember him crossing the try line with two English lads hanging off him, a legend indeed.

Thought that was Ginger McLaughlin, actually, no?
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skrynesaver View Post

As Corelli said, that was probably Ginger McLoughlin.

But Moss was a truly decent (and witty)man.

From RTE:

RT Sport: Death of rugby legend Moss Keane

The death has taken place of the former Irish rugby international Moss Keane at the age of 62.

The Kerry native was capped 51 times for Ireland, making his debut in Paris in 1974. He was part of the side that won the Triple Crown in 1982.

He toured New Zealand in 1977 with the British and Irish Lions and was also a part of the famous Munster side of 1978 that defeated New Zealand in Thomond Park.

Keane also played Gaelic football and represented his native county in the U-21 grade and won Sigerson Cup honours with UCC.

Moss Keane is survived by his wife Anne and his two daughters Sarah and Anne Marie.

Commenting on the news of Moss Keane's passing, IRFU President Caleb Powell said: 'Quite simply Irish rugby has lost one of its most genuine characters and legends of the game.

'Moss had ability on the field that no one could doubt from his record at club, provincial and international level. UCC, Lansdowne, Munster, Ireland and the British & Irish Lions all benefited from his presence and ensured that his reputation will live long in the memories of not only Irish rugby, but world rugby.'

'My own memories of Moss were his great belief in the ethos of the game which was evident in how he related to players from all levels in our club Lansdowne. It did not matter whether you were an Ireland international or playing for the third Bs, he always had time for everybody in the club and he will be sorely missed.'

Former Kerry All-Ireland football winner and now Kerry Fine Gael TD, Jimmy Deenihan paid tribute to Keane by saying: 'I knew Moss for decades and today is a sad day for all involved in sport, particularly in Kerry.

'Moss and I retained a long friendship since our youth and I had the pleasure of playing on the Kerry Junior team with him as well as against him on the rugby pitch. It is no exaggeration to say that Moss was one of the best known Kerrymen of his generation and he retained a deep affection for Currow where he was born.

'I remember well the Munster Final of 1977 when the Kerry team of which I was a member beat Cork. He demonstrated his deep affection for his home county when he said, while on tour with the Lions, that the highlight of the tour was when he heard that Kerry beat Cork.

'Many will remember the central role Moss played in Munster's historic victory over New Zealand. I met him after the game and saw first hand just how proud he was of Munster and all the supporters who played their part. Moss will be sadly missed.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was (in)famous for ordering pints in braces. Was witness to it myself once or twice. By the time the second settled he was ready for it. A gourmand in the truest sense. A lovely lovely man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    He was (in)famous for ordering pints in braces. Was witness to it myself once or twice. By the time the second settled he was ready for it. A gourmand in the truest sense. A lovely lovely man.
    I had the pleasure of serving him some of those pints and was ALWAYS amazed at how the pint glass literally disappeared in his hand! I would've hated to have been grabbed by such a paw on a rugby field - it would have hurt!!

He was the kind of person you would like to think - "yes, he is what the Irish are all about" - an unassuming, good person, yet massively talented to boot.
    We are "they"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Poor old Moss - RIP. A great guy.

When he was a young inspector with the Dept. of Agriculture he used visit our company to make sure we weren't scamming the (then) EC on intervention grants while making the milk powder unfit for human consumption by adding fish meal (ultimately destined for animal feed). When he'd enter the office the room would actually darken, his mitt was as large as a Christmas ham and I still remember the size of his ear lobes - they were bigger than milk bottle tops!!! The part we loved most were his non-PC comments about us being paid by the EC to ruin decent Irish milk powder so as German pig farmers could use it as feed - all to try to reduce the European milk lake. Moss's unprintable suggestions as to what he thought should be done about, and to, the various parties, including ourselves, were hilarious. He always got an invite to our Christmas Party (remember those?) and it goes without saying he could eat and drink all of us under the table.

A legend in his own lifetime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast