Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I left Ireland 10 years ago today.

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I left Ireland 10 years ago today.

I've been back a few times over those years. I left a county wicklow unconnected to the airport with continuous motorway. A country that seemed full of potential and dynamism and optimism. On returning the changes seemed to be lots of shiny new motorways, more shopping centres, more elaborate weddings, lots of expensive cars, even more absurdly priced food, lots of decking and outdoor heaters and an eye-popping increase in the number of immigrants visible everywhere. I haven't been back since "the collapse" but the news seems to be unrelentingly grim.

I know there are other threads talkign about the "celtic tiger" etc. but what do you think are the most noteworthy changes (across the Irish milleu; not just the economy) I would do well to be aware of should I return tomorrow?

Given we're back to 2003 (?) levels of income and prosperity is the Ireland of today still better than the Ireland at the turn of 2000? But economics aside, what is the most striking difference between the Ireland I left and the one I'd find today?
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its not so bad . As long as you dont have a young family or ambition or anything , you will be fine .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You will find the natural consequences of voodoo economics.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well one thing is for sure - the public sector are certainly not back to 2003 levels of income. The public-sector pay-bill costs the taxpayer €20 billion a year - the size of last year's deficit. The govt took 7% of them (except higher civil-servants) for the pension-levy but that compares to an estimated 48% gap between the average public-sector v private-sector worker. We continue to have a 2008-style social-welfare system with unemployment-benefit almost quadruple that in the UK and child-benefit approximately double that of the UK. I agree with TonyBird btw. I have no children or a mortgage and in some ways I have been lucky because of the shares my mother inherited and the inheritance I'm expecting this year (it won't make me wealthy but it will make me secure).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You will not find much of a change. Our elected officials along with the upper echelons of the Civil Service are still using the public purse to better the lives of themselves, their families and friends, only on a much larger scale than on the day you left.

The underlings have managed to get in on the act as well, but it looks like the small fry are going to have the Gardai crawl all over them and the nice judges will probabaly throw them in jail, while managing to turn a blind eye to the thievery our elected politicians legislated for.

"But economics aside, what is the most striking difference between the Ireland I left and the one I'd find today?"

the Ireland you left had not signed the Lisbon Treaty. Nor had it had liabilties to foreign UK and German banks in the order of 800 billion euro.

Politics.ie Member President Bartlet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes you will find major change - the country has gone to the dogs and we are f*****d!!!!
    You made a wise move 10 years ago - me thinks others will be about to join you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    I've been back a few times over those years. I left a county wicklow unconnected to the airport with continuous motorway. A country that seemed full of potential and dynamism and optimism. On returning the changes seemed to be lots of shiny new motorways, more shopping centres, more elaborate weddings, lots of expensive cars, even more absurdly priced food, lots of decking and outdoor heaters and an eye-popping increase in the number of immigrants visible everywhere. I haven't been back since "the collapse" but the news seems to be unrelentingly grim.

I know there are other threads talkign about the "celtic tiger" etc. but what do you think are the most noteworthy changes (across the Irish milleu; not just the economy) I would do well to be aware of should I return tomorrow?

Given we're back to 2003 (?) levels of income and prosperity is the Ireland of today still better than the Ireland at the turn of 2000? But economics aside, what is the most striking difference between the Ireland I left and the one I'd find today?
    Interesting. I came back to Co. Wicklow in 2003 and am still here. The biggest difference is that people seem to have woken up and have started paying attention to what the government has done. Until very recently, everybody seemed to think magic money was flowing in to the country and making us all fabulously wealthy. However, there is still a large stupid/passive rump of the population holding up progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once your not a PAYE worker you'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MPB View Post
    You will not find much of a change. Our elected officials along with the upper echelons of the Civil Service are still using the public purse to better the lives of themselves, their families and friends, only on a much larger scale than on the day you left.

The underlings have managed to get in on the act as well, but it looks like the small fry are going to have the Gardai crawl all over them and the nice judges will probabaly throw them in jail, while managing to turn a blind eye to the thievery our elected politicians legislated for.
    I would disagree that the abuse of the public purse is on a much larger scale. It may be on a slightly larger scale but it is on a much more known scale than before. The enormity of the waste and pilfering and, let's call a spade a shovel here, theft by the political classes, particularly in the government, is to a much greater extent in the public domain. We saw a tipping point in the last couple of years when the sheer scale of the maladministration and the trousering of public funds could literally not be hidden any more. In civilised countries, some of the worst perpetrators would be facing criminal charges but in Ireland, we enforce the law selectively so the worst political miscreants walk , as usual, scot free.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast